4 oz Peppercorn, 4 oz coriander!!?? Shorts Nicie Spicie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TommyTbar

Reaction score
So wanted to brew this one for the lady as she loves this beer but the additions seems outlandish.
In the march/April issue of Zymurgy they have a clone recipe provided by Shorts

here it is
5 GALLON BATCH

6 lb Pale malt
6 lb White wheat
Rice hulls for lautering

1 oz fuggle 60
.5 Fuggle 30
.5 Fuggle 0
4 oz Ground Coriander
1 oz Ground black peppercorn
1 oz Ground pink peppercorn
1 oz Ground white peppercorn
1 oz Ground green pepper corn

American ale yeast

"Dry hop"
2 oz orange zest
2 oz lemon zest

Seems crazy right? i know shorts does some crazy stuff but this just doesnt make any sense. I would feel it would be undrinkable for months

The Recipe also states to leave peppercorns and coriander in primary

Thoughts??

Wow, I gotta agree with you there that seems crazy. I used the equivalent of 0.5 oz coriander for 5 gal once in a tripel and it was too much for me. I would proceed with caution.

I made a 3-gallon batch of saison with .2 oz (2 tsp) of black peppercorns, foolishly grinding them pretty finely. It was disgusting after a month in primary, so I racked to secondary to see if it would get better, but after a couple months, the peppercorn has faded, but is still too strong.

Coarsely cracking the peppercorns and coriander might be a good idea for that recipe as well as lowering the amounts.

I'm brewing a batch today, but I also think they got the units mixed up and perhaps forgot a decimal. I'm going to use 1 oz of whole coriander and much fewer peppercorns.

I'm brewing a batch today, but I also think they got the units mixed up and perhaps forgot a decimal. I'm going to use 1 oz of whole coriander and much fewer peppercorns.

How'd it turn out? I'm thinking of starting one this week? I was gonna do half for all the spices but full amounts for the citrus...

I've used 1 oz of whole Coriander in a Tripple and it was too strong for me initially. It is approaching 8 months in the bottle and is mellowing nicely now. I'm guessing the recipe is incorrect.

Brewed Northern Brewer La Petite Orange Blanche yesterday where "Blanche" is the variation with zest of two oranges and one ounce crushed coriander.
First taste in six weeks.

Back