3D Printed Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be buying one of these handles
If they are still for sale
They are awesome and I wanna throw some support
I have been making mine the old fashioned way with wood and metal

I will be buying one of these handles
If they are still for sale
They are awesome and I wanna throw some support
I have been making mine the old fashioned way with wood and metal

Yes, I think I'll be making them for a while. Check out my link on the first post and let me know. Through the site preferred.

No shame in tried and trusted wood and metal. I made some out of wood and metal too:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f252/super-easy-tap-handles-477028/

Pretty soon we'll be looking at 3D printers in the way that we would look at a dot matrix printer now!

Im gonna resurrect this thread to ask the OP... Did you find the thread pitch and size online for the typ tap handle? If so, where did you find it/what dimensions did you use? Im gonna be 3D printing my own tap handle and have everything drawn up except the threads.

Im gonna resurrect this thread to ask the OP... Did you find the thread pitch and size online for the typ tap handle? If so, where did you find it/what dimensions did you use? Im gonna be 3D printing my own tap handle and have everything drawn up except the threads.

Sorry I've been late to respond.

The insert is this:
E-Z LOK 260-6-BR (3/8"-16 brass insert)
You can get them at Amazon or McMaster
Go to my Thingiverse "thing" to get more details.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:542537

3/8-16 is the standard threading for most faucets.

These are beautiful. Perhaps a silly question, do the ones people buy have the website printed on both sides? If so, can that be omitted?

Sorry I've been late to respond.

The insert is this:
E-Z LOK 260-6-BR (3/8"-16 brass insert)
You can get them at Amazon or McMaster
Go to my Thingiverse "thing" to get more details.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:542537

3/8-16 is the standard threading for most faucets.

Ok, so you just inserted the brass piece into the tap handle, the more I thought about it, the more that seemed like the smarter idea. Did you just use an epoxy? Or will any glue work for that? I use cyanoacrylate for gluing the plastic to plastic, but I doubt that would work for brass to plastic

Edit: Nevermind, checked it out on amazon. That thing is pretty cool

Ok, so you just inserted the brass piece into the tap handle, the more I thought about it, the more that seemed like the smarter idea. Did you just use an epoxy? Or will any glue work for that? I use cyanoacrylate for gluing the plastic to plastic, but I doubt that would work for brass to plastic

Edit: Nevermind, checked it out on amazon. That thing is pretty cool

The knurling on the brass "should" be enough to keep the insert in, but since I print in ABS, I use a q-tip to coat the inside of the hole with acetone. Then when I press the insert in, it's got a nice soft surface that really conforms to the knurling. Then you've got a pretty solid fit.

The knurling on the brass "should" be enough to keep the insert in, but since I print in ABS, I use a q-tip to coat the inside of the hole with acetone. Then when I press the insert in, it's got a nice soft surface that really conforms to the knurling. Then you've got a pretty solid fit.

Gotcha, that seems smart. I just ordered one of the brass inserts so I want to get this thing printing, how deep was the pilot hole that you made? I cant seem to find any dimensions for it on amazon

Gotcha, that seems smart. I just ordered one of the brass inserts so I want to get this thing printing, how deep was the pilot hole that you made? I cant seem to find any dimensions for it on amazon

The insert is 5/8" long. I made the hole 0.650" deep and have had no issues.

Never thought of doing this. I love my tap handle (camshaft with threading welded on), but I might need a few more soon!

I am going to print this within a week or so. Will post updates when I finish it.

did you consider heating the brass insert before putting it in? That's what we typically do on our 3D printed parts that need brass threading. I never have put a large insert in before, maybe you decided against it since it is so large.

did you consider heating the brass insert before putting it in? That's what we typically do on our 3D printed parts that need brass threading. I never have put a large insert in before, maybe you decided against it since it is so large.

Yes, I definitely considered that option, and the heated insert tool that is made for it, but for the tap handles, the acetone trick and just pressing them in by hand, works just fine.

For small inserts, I'll certainly consider your advice. I just haven't had anything that's needed them yet.

Back