3D Printed Tap Handles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausofstrauss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my first attempt at a 3D printed tap handle. It held up for our party, but I think I can improve a little on the mechanical strength side of things. I've already got a v2 printing the logo into the handle as one piece, I just don't have pics yet.

Edited here for link to full post:
http://fermware.com/3d-printed-tap-handles/

*There is a link at the bottom of the post on my blog if you wish to purchase a prototype tap handle.

016-WBHY_v1-3_4-view.jpg

And here is my current version:

016-WBHY-Handle-v3.jpg

Was that a single pass print or multiple pieces? Looks great nice work!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The water, barley, hops and flask symbols were printed separately and the plaque for the side was printed separately. I wasn't sure if the logo would print properly the way I had the print oriented, so I did a separate piece. After the party, I was able to get the logo to print with the main body. I'll post picture of V2 soon.

Fa-ree-kin awesome. I saw another guy on the "show us your kegerator" thread that made pumpkin head taps with a 3D printer. The future is neat-o.

Which printer are you using?

I got the Flashforge Creator and I am very happy with it. It had the right balance of cost, dual-extruders, reliability, non-proprietary filament and has required me to do a little bit of tinkering that has allowed me to better understand the capabilities 3D printers.

For all of you asking for STL's or wanting to purchase an already made handle, my best advice is to get subscribed on the blog site for updates. I hope to have some time this weekend to work something out and address on the site.

I would like to make STL's available, but also provide some sort of service to those that want the handles and don't have a 3D printer.

My purpose for the fermware.com blog was primarily to pass on the knowledge I've gained from brewing as payback for the knowledge I've received from others. I'd put the figure at about 80% of that knowledge came from this awesome site/community here.

If it gets to generate some income, that is a bonus and can help supplement my brewing and enable me to work on other projects that I really think will help the homebrewing community.

If you want to support the site or my goals, please shop through the site links for Amazon or any other supporting advertisers that may show up. Don't worry, I won't know specifically who clicks on what or who buys what, so your privacy is respected.

I sincerely appreciate all of the compliments on the design. I hope it inspires others to create similar designs.

I'm not sure, I haven't tried. How big are you talking?

maybe like the hight of a stock black handle that comes with the tap and what ever width looks good. Something that fits the hand nicely. Would be cool if you could make one that looks like the brewing networks hop grenade.

maybe like the hight of a stock black handle that comes with the tap and what ever width looks good. Something that fits the hand nicely. Would be cool if you could make one that looks like the brewing networks hop grenade.

I will have to try and print one.

I wouldn't copy the brewing network hop grenade. That's their design and idea. Even if it wasn't copywrited, I'd still not feel cool about it.

I will have to try and print one.

I wouldn't copy the brewing network hop grenade. That's their design and idea. Even if it wasn't copywrited, I'd still not feel cool about it.

All good. a sweet looking hop cone would be awesome. I have a full size fridge converted to a kegerator and I have to use low tap handles because the freezer door hits tall handles if I open it.

All good. a sweet looking hop cone would be awesome. I have a full size fridge converted to a kegerator and I have to use low tap handles because the freezer door hits tall handles if I open it.

Yea, because of the position of my faucets on my keezer collar, I didn't even think of that as an issue.

I've actually got one on display at my awesome LHBS Great Fermentations at their Indianapolis location right now on their sample fridge. They had the same problem, but they've got a special angled adapter that allows taller handles to fit.

Yea, because of the position of my faucets on my keezer collar, I didn't even think of that as an issue.

I've actually got one on display at my awesome LHBS Great Fermentations at their Indianapolis location right now on their sample fridge. They had the same problem, but they've got a special angled adapter that allows taller handles to fit.

More info on this adapter please. There are some taller handles I would like to use but right now I'm stuck with the short stubby ones.

More info on this adapter please. There are some taller handles I would like to use but right now I'm stuck with the short stubby ones.

Search Google for tap handle angle adapter and you should find some sources -- I'm using them on my kegerator with success.

Search Google for tap handle angle adapter and you should find some sources -- I'm using them on my kegerator with success.

Um, just got a cool idea here. I can make the angle of the threaded insert at any angle I feel like, so I could do an angled version for low-space installations. Interest level??

Interest level indeed... My birthday is in a few weeks... I will need one. Yes, need

Looks like your top layer infill needs tweaking and you have a bit of slop in one of your horizontals.... lol sorry couldn't resist being a printer geek. Dis you print the hop with support or is it flat on the back? Looks great!!

CAD renderings have gone out for approval to those that made it in for the first round of prototypes.

I hope to have more slots open later this week and have STL files posted on Thingiverse.

Printing the tap handles took longer than anticipated, but the results have turned out great. Along the way, I improved the geometry of the hop to reduce the voids in the print and I also experimented with clear filament and was able to modify the flask to really look like a flask with a starter in it.

016-WBHY-Handle-v3-yeast-flask.jpg

And here are some pictures of a few I did for some members here and elsewhere.

016-WBHY-customer-Asylum.jpg

016-WBHY-customer-Blank.jpg

016-WBHY-customer-Hilt.jpg

016-WBHY-customer-JB.jpg

016-WBHY-customer-Jose.jpg

I don't have a kegging system so it'd be early for me to be designing tap handles for me too print. Love the modular design too.

Are you running dual extrusion? If not are the letters inserts?

Got mine today. Absolutely freakin awesome!!

I like how you highlighted the arithmetic signs in that second one there - really makes them pop out.

I don't have a kegging system so it'd be early for me to be designing tap handles for me too print. Love the modular design too.

Are you running dual extrusion? If not are the letters inserts?

Yes, dual extrusion for the black handle and the letters. The icons are printed separately and glued in.

Latest posts

Back