36 hours = no fermentation with Vermont yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Hi all, I haven't posted in a while but just brewed Sunday and have yet to see any signs of fermentation (36 hours). This is the first time I brewed with the Vermont yeast from the yeast bay, and read it can be slow to start. I only pitched one vial in 68 degree wort (OG=1.062) and have also read it's not enough cells for a typical IPA

I know an airlock isn't a good way to gauge fermentation, but with the amount of hops I put in, I would at least smell a trace of them if there was any outgassing happening.

So here's my question. I'm thinking of pitching another pack of yeast today and I can only get Wyeast where I live. Which Wyeast should I choose to try to match or at least compliment the Vermont strain. I was thinking American ale II, any other ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Give it another day. Ive only used that yeast two or three times, but everytime Ive used it its had serious lag time. Starters can help speed it up, but itll eventually take off.

Give it another day. I just pitched the same yeast on Friday. 24hrs later, not much was happening, 48hrs it started to bubble. The last couple of days have been non stop.

Probably under pitched. Only 36 hours. I would give it another 36 hours before doing anything.

I always make starters even when the directions say it is not needed. The longest lag time I have ever had was pitching about 7 pm one day, no activity in the morning, going well when getting home from work. So less than 24 hours.

I don't find what strain the Vermont yeast is so picking a strain of Wyeast is a guess. If you can't find anything on the strain, I personally would use 1056 since it is a pretty clean yeast that will not add much of it's own to the flavor.

Just give it time. If you pitch in another strand of yeast the flavor profile you are looking for will be different, sometimes this is done by design. However next time make a starter

Just wait it it out. You can try to gently swirl your fermenter to help the yeast along. It will take off eventually.

Thanks all, I'm glad I waited it out. She's bubbling like crazy now. Usually I make a 2 liter starter for my IPAs and see activity after 6 hours. I guess I've been spoiled by my other quick turnarounds. The guy from the yeast bay said not to do a starter for the Vermont strain because it will totally change the profile. Next time I may pitch 2 vials, but maybe not if this one turns out great.

Cheers!

Probably under pitched. Only 36 hours. I would give it another 36 hours before doing anything.

I always make starters even when the directions say it is not needed. The longest lag time I have ever had was pitching about 7 pm one day, no activity in the morning, going well when getting home from work. So less than 24 hours.

I don't find what strain the Vermont yeast is so picking a strain of Wyeast is a guess. If you can't find anything on the strain, I personally would use 1056 since it is a pretty clean yeast that will not add much of it's own to the flavor.

Vermont ale yeast is the famous heady topper yeast strain! It's produced by white labs but sold by The Yeast Bay.

Back