31mm caps fit on belgian bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if they would work or not. I doubt it though. I don't believe there is the right kind of lip on there to hold a cap. Just going from memory. Also, do you have a capper that will accommodate 31mm caps? Again, not sure if a standard capper will do this or not. Guess I'm not much help and I'll stop typing now.

Not sure if they would work or not. I doubt it though. I don't believe there is the right kind of lip on there to hold a cap. Just going from memory. Also, do you have a capper that will accommodate 31mm caps? Again, not sure if a standard capper will do this or not. Guess I'm not much help and I'll stop typing now.

the thing is...on the description for the caps, it says it's for french champagne and belgian ale bottles. I measured a bottle of the st. bernardus and its 1.25" and that's the fit for the 31 mm caps. I just wanted to make sure.

I have a handheld "emily" capper, the standard one that comes with kits and there is a crimping cup part that I can replace the 26 mm with.

I called them and they told me to measure my bottle and it's the right size, but I'd just wanna make sure...

here are the caps and crimping cup:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/100_LARGE_31MM_BOTTLE_CAPS_P1895C188.cfm

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/29_31MM_NEWER_EMILY_BENCH_CAP_P1892C54.cfm

No.

The bottles you can cap with those crowns are the larger european bottle mouths, like champagne bottles. Some european bottles, like the Belgian 350ml bottles and many weiss bottles, have smaller mouth openings than US bottles but can be capped with 26mm caps and a standard capper if you are careful.

However, any of the 750ml bottles that have the fat lip on the bottles, like Chimay 750ml bottles just cannot be capped. They aren't made for capping and there are no caps produced to fit them.

Back