30A GFI Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rnm410

Reaction score
I am not finding any premade 30A spa panels or any old inline 30A 240V GFI's.

I either will buy a 50A prebuild and add a 30A circuit breaker to my control panel, or will wire my own inline 30A 240V GFI.

My question is, do GFIs have to be installed in metal cases, or can the be installed in waterproof pvc/poly cases? I will pass the ground through.

Best
R

no code or manufacturer requirement that they be in a metal enclosure. sounds like the simplest approach is a 50 amp spa panel with a 30 amp 'regular' breaker at your panelboard. #10 awg conductor from the 30 amp breaker to the 50 amp spa panel and #10 awg conductor from there to a receptacle or directly into your brew panel.

And perhaps a permanent marker to write prominently on your spa panel that it is wired for 30a max. :)

And perhaps a permanent marker to write prominently on your spa panel that it is wired for 30a max. :)

no code or manufacturer requirement that they be in a metal enclosure. sounds like the simplest approach is a 50 amp spa panel with a 30 amp 'regular' breaker at your panelboard. #10 awg conductor from the 30 amp breaker to the 50 amp spa panel and #10 awg conductor from there to a receptacle or directly into your brew panel.

Thanks, hows this look?

Both in and out grounds to panel, ground not in contact with neutral.

GFI neutral to the bus, power in neutral to the bus.

Power out neutral from the gfi breaker.

Need to add cord grips ofc.

qsp1tc.jpg

Back