30 Min Hop Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I often see a 30 min hop addition with various IPA recipes. What does it offer as far as bittering/flavoring? And why do that instead of a more typical 60/15-20 min addition?

I don't do 30 or 45 minute additions,as a 30 minute one just adds 50% or so of it's lupulins to the bittering. I'd rather wait till 20 minutes on down & do flavor additions.

At the 30 minute mark you will get both bitterness as well as some flavor/aroma. I like these additions as I find them to add some complexity to the hop profile of the beer meaning it is not just all bitter or all flavor/aroma. Hops that are dual purpose work well for this addition and I usually shoot for 15%-20% of my IBU contribution in the recipe

I did this with my oatmeal coffee stout (2.3 oz Liberty @ 60 mins and 2.1 oz @ 30mins) as I wanted the coffee to shine, but also to use these low AA hops to still get ~45 IBU's.

I also plan on trying it in my upcoming jalapeño cream ale (.3 oz @ 60 mins and .2 oz at 30 mins). This was mostly to stay around 15 IBU's.

In those cases,like my traditional stout,I use bittering only & let the roastiness,etc take care of blalncing flavors with bitterness. In my hybrid lagers,I like loww AA% hops for flavor the last 15 minutes or so,as their flavors come out lighter ime. So no 30 minute additions needed.

Initially my hop schedule for the jalapeño cream ale was going to be 60 and 5 mins. But I increased the volume from 1.8 gal to 2.5 gal, and I'm not so sure I care about an aroma addition. Had 20 mins given me 15 IBU's I would have settled on that, but I was short...

I suppose, as long as the jalapeño does't burn too quickly, that it'll give me a better glimpse at how a 30 min addition behaves over a 15-20 min addition, although I don't have anything to compare it to other than memories...

Back