3-year-old grain - use or toss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hennesse

Reaction score
I'm restarting my brewery after a three-year hiatus. I bought a year's supply of leaf hops (it's harvest time), and enough grain for my first two batches. So I'm wondering - is three-year-old grain still good?

I have a fair supply of specialty grains (crystal, carapils, black patent, etc.) They're still in the sealed 1lb bags, and have been stored at room temperature. I sampled some of the opened bags, and they taste just fine, but I'm not sure if my taste-test is a valid indicator.

Anyone have knowledge or experience with three-year-old grain?

BTW, I tossed about $100 (ouch!) of leaf hops, as I know they deteriorate, even though they've been stored in the freezer. Some looked and smelled old, some looked and smelled OK. Regardless, out they went. I order two-row malt as needed, so I don't have a stockpile of that. I kept a stock of the specialty grains, so I wouldn't have to order the onesy-twosies each time, and I could change my recipe at the last minute.

Thanks,
Dave

If they’re sealed in the bag, I’d recommend using them. Some crystal malts (like 30-60L) has a tendency to oxidize over time, so watch out for that. But the darker stuff and the pale stuff should be totally fine.

I have had many such breaks due to some major health issues. My 5 month old triple, that was made with 4 year old grain, advanced to the NHC finals. Use it!! My grain is stored in its original bags. I put those inside big totes. They stay in a spare bedroom. I have 5 sacks currently that are 6 years Old. I’m going to split a batch of starter wort for canning. I’m going to make a cream ale out of it and see if it is stale. The grains taste ok, so what the heck. Not perfect, but better than tossing 300# to the chickens.

Thanks guys.

Every grain I sampled looks and tastes good. I think I'll use 50% old / new until I use it up. Saved me some real money, as I found I had a lot more stockpiled than I figured.

Dave

Thanks guys.

Every grain I sampled looks and tastes good. I think I'll use 50% old / new until I use it up. Saved me some real money, as I found I had a lot more stockpiled than I figured.

Dave

I've used malt that was over 4 years old. Still worked great and the beer was A-OK. Tasting some of the kernels is a good indication of potential staling.

You can always make a test mash with a pound of it. If there's anything wrong with it, you'd find out soon enough, like lack of conversion or off flavors. Depending on outcome, then brew a small batch all by itself.

Not a bad idea to mix half and half, though, to guarantee conversion and get some freshness in the mix, but it will take 2x as long to get rid of the old stuff...

I have had many such breaks due to some major health issues. My 5 month old triple, that was made with 4 year old grain, advanced to the NHC finals. Use it!! My grain is stored in its original bags. I put those inside big totes. They stay in a spare bedroom. I have 5 sacks currently that are 6 years Old. I’m going to split a batch of starter wort for canning. I’m going to make a cream ale out of it and see if it is stale. The grains taste ok, so what the heck. Not perfect, but better than tossing 300# to the chickens.

See what it takes to score high in a competition! Would be hard to replicate. Say you won, and the recipe appears as:

For this awesome Tripel scoring 46 pts at the NHC...
...use 4 year old Pilsner Malt, stored high and dry...
...age beer for 5 months [in secondary at ambient temps]... :tank:

Original bags in sealed totes really prevents atmospheric moisture from ruining them over time. A damp basement, however, is not a great storage place, unless you brew Brett sours, then you may be 2 years ahead of developing such an exquisite dank flavor profile.

A Cream Ale is a good beer to test your malt for (off) flavor. Go for it.

I find canning starter wort hardly worth the effort. I can cook up a fresh gallon of starter wort in 15 minutes using DME. Then give it a few hours to chill in a cold tub. Then it's ready to fill flasks.

See what it takes to score high in a competition! Would be hard to replicate. Say you won, and the recipe appears as:

For this awesome Tripel scoring 46 pts at the NHC...

...use 4 year old Pilsner Malt, stored high and dry...

...age beer for 5 months [in secondary at ambient temps]... :tank:

Original bags in sealed totes really prevents atmospheric moisture from ruining them over time. A damp basement, however, is not a great storage place, unless you brew Brett sours, then you may be 2 years ahead of developing such an exquisite dank flavor profile.

A Cream Ale is a good beer to test your malt for (off) flavor. Go for it.

I find canning starter wort hardly worth the effort. I can cook up a fresh gallon of starter wort in 15 minutes using DME. Then give it a few hours to chill in a cold tub. Then it's ready to fill flasks.

I hear ya, I’ve never put much stock in comps. I’ve brewed that triple several times. Tasted normal to me, plus I think the yeast character hides some stuff.
I figured I would can some, and split it. Now that I’m going to shaken starters, the amount of wort I need is less. 5 sacks will make a lot of starter wort if the Cream Ale sucks. We will see...

Back