3-Way Ball Valves?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayberQue

Reaction score
Last edited by a moderator:
I've never used them, but I can't see a problem IF the off position is in between the two on positions. Otherwise you would have to get the valve far enough away from your kettle to be able to spin it 360 degrees (if not, you may have to turn the un-intended output on to get to the intended output). If the off position is in between though, you can always return to center and it wouldn't be a problem.

I use two three way valves on my wort pump. The bottom one directs either the wort from MLT or BK to inlet of pump and the top one directs to the heat exchanger or back to the MLT or BK. They work fine but just double check which way your valves are going before you turn on the pump. Once I started the pump for mash recirculation and had the top valve in the wrong position. I hadn't yet connected the heat exchanger hose and whoops... sticky mess on my shoes. :)

DSCN0276.jpg

Wow - a plethora of valves and fittings!

So can you actually shut off those three-way valves so nothing flows through them?

Cheers!

CHEEP
http://www.directmaterial.com/3_Way_Stainless_Steel_Ball_Valves_Type_L_T_w_MP_p/dcvbs3l-fslash-t.htm

Edit:
Guess I should follow that up
I use them all over my rig. Beats turning 2+ valves when I want to direct flow around.

I use Type-L ones. Less chance of human error. Type-T would be great for CIP though.

Edit #2:
Wow, I just pasted my bookmark for them. Price went up since I bought them... they were $25 at some point in time.

Got any pics of your setup? I've been debating this route too and have been throwing around L or T types but haven't seen any L type in action :mug:

I use two three way valves on my wort pump. The bottom one directs either the wort from MLT or BK to inlet of pump and the top one directs to the heat exchanger or back to the MLT or BK. They work fine but just double check which way your valves are going before you turn on the pump. Once I started the pump for mash recirculation and had the top valve in the wrong position. I hadn't yet connected the heat exchanger hose and whoops... sticky mess on my shoes. :)

how well does that pump head support all that weight? i was thinking about piping the 3-way valves between my kettles like a long manifold attached to the brew stand and then down to the pumps.

something like this

FlowchartDiagrams.jpg

but now i am thinking about building the same type of manifold acrosss the bottom with a cross over between the two i could pump anything anywhere

i guess i didnt include the out from pump one too the fermenter on that pic, i am planning on whirlpool/chilling/settle, then pump through the trub filter in to the fermenter

Don't have uploaded currently. When I get home, I'll post some

Don't mean to be a pest, but just curious if you had a chance to upload those pics :) I found your build thread but noticed they weren't working in there, so I figured I'd ask. Cheers! :mug:

Back