3 Tier Gravity Feed Wood Stand - Flammability Concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vettehead99

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm in the process of planning out a 3 tier system and am planning on using wood for the stand. There's a lot of good examples on the forum, however I was curious what people had used to coat the wood for their setups, or if I should even be concerned about it.

I have 2 classic Bayou Burners which elevate the pots about a foot above the surface, so maybe I have no reason to be worried about heat near the wood surface.

I've seen some setups on the forum use an epoxy coat or tung oil. Just curious what the masses used or if I'm just being a nervous Ned. Last thing I need to do is burn down my garage.

I've seen plenty examples of wood stands so I guess it's doable. Cant help you with the coating question... But, IMO wood and flame sounds like a BBQ!

I have not had any problems with this setup.

Brewflame2.jpg

Looks good! You don't have any issues with the wood close to the two lower burners on the RHS? I feel like the heat from the boil pots would char the surface a bit. Maybe not...

I haven't had any charring, those little burners don't run flame out very wide, and with a keggle (it has a rim on bottom that keeps them in) I don't remember the dims. between the 2x6s. honestly my most worry was on the blichman and osb top. when the keggle is on and heat on high you can put your hand under it (sucks a lot of air up)

oh and mine isn't a tier system I use a pump for the MT and HLT. Gravity from BK to therminator to fermenters. the stand also is able to be flipped up and the keggles stored inside the framing. I will see if I can find a pic.

You could always wrap the wood facing the flames with some heavy duty aluminum foil...
In addition to blocking sparks, it will reflect much of the radiant heat emitted by the flames. The convective heat will still conduct through to the wood, but would be less likely to exceed the ignition temperature of the wood that way, and would to some extent prevent drying out.

looks like a good separation of heat from wood, I like it:fro:

yep, I have tweeked the fuel lines with 90deg. elbows so they don't stick out. and pump mounted etc. I do still need to build some windbreaks for the small burners as when they are on low a breeze will blow them out (I do a direct fired/recirc mash to maintain temp.

this build was done with materials I had, scrap and what not, but honestly besides the blichman burner and march pump it was relatively cheap.

I haven't had any charring, those little burners don't run flame out very wide, and with a keggle (it has a rim on bottom that keeps them in) I don't remember the dims. between the 2x6s. honestly my most worry was on the blichman and osb top. when the keggle is on and heat on high you can put your hand under it (sucks a lot of air up)

oh and mine isn't a tier system I use a pump for the MT and HLT. Gravity from BK to therminator to fermenters. the stand also is able to be flipped up and the keggles stored inside the framing. I will see if I can find a pic.

here is a pic of it tilted vertical for storage. the dark spot under the large burner is not from charring but from a boil over. and why the hell the pic came in sideways is beyond me.

20170504_214747.jpg

About 75 brews on this one. No problems.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399131&stc=1&d=1493953860

Sideways, and I have been imbibing so I am not going to figure out how to fix it. But wood below should be no problem. Wood around the burner and above could be a problem. I had one burner suspended. The uprights burned. I replaced the with metal on the outside of the burner. No further problems.

You can see the shelf brackets holding up the HLT burner. Highest tier.

20150924_100252.jpg

About 75 brews on this one. No problems.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=399131&stc=1&d=1493953860

Sideways, and I have been imbibing so I am not going to figure out how to fix it. But wood below should be no problem. Wood around the burner and above could be a problem. I had one burner suspended. The uprights burned. I replaced the with metal on the outside of the burner. No further problems.

You can see the shelf brackets holding up the HLT burner. Highest tier.

not only sideways but from the clock it looks to be beer30

Been using this setup for 8 years now. It's just some 2x4s, 1/4 in plywood, and some deck screws. Never had ANY issues with the wood getting anything more than warm and never too hot to touch. It will warm up your beer if you put it too close, however.

IMG_3649.jpg

Back