3 oz Simcoe Too Much Dry Hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMannion87

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm re-brewing a beer I did awhile back. The only thing that is changing is the dry hopping amounts because I couldn't get whole leaf Amarillo. In the original recipe I dry hopped with 1.5 Amarillo and 1.5 Simcoe and I was a big fan of the final product.

This time around I was planning on dry hopping with 3 oz of Simcoe, but I'm worried about a "catty" smell. Personally I've never experienced this, but is it a similar smell that Citra produces? I did an all Citra Wheat IPA and loved it, so if both hops are "catty" maybe I will be alright. Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OG: 1.070
FG: 1.018

5.0 lb (58.0%) CBW® Golden Light Liquid (Malt Extract) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
2.0 lb (23.2%) CBW® Bavarian Wheat Powder (Dry Malt Extract) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
10 oz (7.2%) Crystal Malt 20°L - steeped before boil
4 oz (2.9%) Cara-Pils® Malt - steeped before boil, steeped 30 m
.25 oz (2.7%) Warrior® (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 m
.75 oz (8.1%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20 m
.75 lb (8.7%) Corn Sugar - added during boil, boiled 15 m
1.0 tsp Irish Moss - added during boil, boiled 15 m
1.0 oz (10.8%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 10 m
.50 oz (5.4%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 15 m
1.0 oz (10.8%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 m
1.50 oz (16.2%) Amarillo® (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m
1.25 oz (13.5%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added during boil, boiled 1.0 m
3.0 oz (32.4%) Simcoe® (13.0%) - added dry to secondary fermenter
2.0 ea White Labs WLP007 Dry English Ale

In my experience, you will be very happy. Though, I think simcoe is best when mixed with a little but of something else (amarillo, centennial).

That's what I've read - that Simcoe is great when mixed with another hop, but sometimes overpowering alone. Unfortunately I'm not able to get my hands on any other whole hops locally at the moment. Thanks for your input!

Funny that you can only get your hands on simcoe when it seems to be the exact opposite everywhere else. Hah. Anyway, why not mix whole flowers with pellets?

I like Simcoe on its own in the dryhop. It will definitely give you a more pine focused IPA with its piney, musky, and dank notes when used late. There's some fruit there that I like to refer to as "pine fruit", or the fruit that would grow on California pine trees if that were possible.

Some other notes... Why not simplify the hop schedule a bit, like a 60/15/0/DH or 60/30/10/0/DH? You can still "hopburst" via this schedule; just use a lot of your hops late. Carapils is unnecessary with extract beers like this since it is already inherent in the extract. I like to add about half of my extract late in the boil at 15 minutes and the corn sugar at flameout. Less caramelization and better hop utlization with this technique. And you don't really need to boil the sugar for 15 min. I would suggest 10-15% total corn sugar. You will most likely finish drier than 1.018 FG, which is usually desireable for IPAs.

Why not make a starter with one of the yeasts instead of doubling up? More cost efficient don't ya think? And you may still be underpitching 5 gallons at 1.070 OG with only 2 vials. Just sayin

Simcoe is one of the few hops that I prefer as flavor and not aroma. I think it is somewhat lost in aroma compared to some others. I love an IPA with a big punch of Simcoe at 10 minutes, and centennial, Columbus or Cascade as the dry. JMO

Flavor and Aroma are kind of synonymous in this sense. You cannot taste without your nose. Try Schlafly American IPA. 100% dryhopped with Simcoe and it's amazingly aromatic, yet you can taste the piney musky fruit from the Simcoe quite well.

I love simcoe. I would eat it on toast. I would snort that sh*t. You can't go wrong with simcoe. It is great all by itself.

That is all.

I love simcoe. I would eat it on toast. I would snort that sh*t. You can't go wrong with simcoe. It is great all by itself.

That is all.

Agreed I just love it. I got a pound and half and another 3 pounds on the way that's how much I love it. I do feel layering it with some other hops is a good thing but on its own should make something nice.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll go with the full 3 oz and report back how it turns out.

bobbrews- Thanks for the tips. I was going for a hop bursting type technique with this brew. I was unaware about the Carapils already being in DME. I plan on using starters in the future, but was in a rush on this brew day. Will keep that in mind though.

Just wanted to post an update, I tapped this brew on Friday and it was delicious! Thanks everyone for your input!

Latest posts

Back