3 liters star-san in 2.5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcel

Reaction score
Yeah, so I'm a moron. I made up some star-san in an empty gallon water jug, thought "i'd better not mix this up!" so I labeled it - but only on one side. So long story short I have about 3 liters of star-san in a 2.5 gallon batch. I noticed right after I added the star-san to the wort, and promptly busted out the sharpie again so as to make the star-san jug impossible to confuse in the future.

I figured, screw it, i'll just go ahead and pitch anyways and see what happens. What happened was my most vigorous fermentation of the 5 batches I've done so far. Blew the carboy stopper off and had to switch to a blowoff tube. I'm assuming that's at least in part due to the foaming agent in the star-san. I've seen some posts about people getting a cup or so of star-san in their batch, but couldn't find anything about this large a quantity.

So my question is, given that the yeast appear to have done just fine (and assuming that the hydrometer readings confirm).... do you all think it's safe enough to drink, or at least try it and see if it's any good? I know about the guy drinking the cup of straight star-san and all that, just trying not to confuse "didn't die" with "safe" :)

id avoid it. Something to me says 2.5 gallons isnt worth it. But im paranoid. you might get a different response from other more "ethusiastic" members. What's 2.5 gallons of ingrediesnts cost you anyways? like ten bucks?

MSDS says star san is: 50% phosphoric acid (IIRC used to add the tange to cola instead of citric acid as it is cheaper) 10% Isopropyl Alcohol (wouldn't want to drink 100% of this but probably ok at the dilution it is now) and 15% Dodecylbenzene Sulfonic Acid (which you would want to do some more research about as this seems to be the nasty bit). Don't know where the last 25% is?

MSDS link http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/msds/starsan.pdf

Latest posts

Back