3 level of homebrewers, three pieces of advice...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ylee21

Reaction score
This is for all of the experienced brewers on the site that help us n00bies out so much.

What ONE piece of advice do you think would have the most impact on increasing the quality of brewing each of these levels of experienced homebrewers:

1.) Newbie - 0 to 10 batches.

2.) Level 2 - 11 to 20 batches.

3.) Level 3 - 21 - 30 batches.

As an example, advice for Newbie is focus on sanitation, Level 2 focus on temperature control, level 3 focus on AG.

I'm just trying to see what everything thinks is the most important aspects of the hobby.

I'm going to add a level since sanitization comes before everything else

0. Sanitization
1. Patience
2. Temperature control
3. Total process (grain selection, mash temps, yeast selection, etc.)

This is for all of the experienced brewers on the site that help us n00bies out so much.

What ONE piece of advice do you think would have the most impact on increasing the quality of brewing each of these levels of experienced homebrewers:

1.) Newbie - 0 to 10 batches.

2.) Level 2 - 11 to 20 batches.

3.) Level 3 - 21 - 30 batches.

As an example, advice for Newbie is focus on sanitation, Level 2 focus on temperature control, level 3 focus on AG.

I'm just trying to see what everything thinks is the most important aspects of the hobby.

Temperature control during fermentation, for all levels. That is the single most important factor, and produces instant results. Most off-flavors can be traced directly back to temperature control, or rather lack of temperature control, during fermentation. If the yeast strain you're using says on the manufacturer's website: "Ferment at 62-70 degrees", that's what to do. Remember that fermentation is exothermic (produces heat), so sometimes that means keeping the fermenter in a 59 degree room, to keep the fermentation temperature at 65. Swamp coolers work, fridges with temperature controllers, old basements, etc. But it's worth the effort.

Second is for all levels as well- and it also has to do with yeast health. Pitch the proper amount of yeast. Underpitching produces off-flavors as well.

If the proper amount of yeast is pitched, and the temperature is in the optimum range for the yeast strain, the beer will be much improved.

+1 Temp control

Sanitation is all important, but it is very easy to do and should not require all that much effort. A tub of Oxyclean and a bottle of StarSan is all you really need.

So the equipment package that I bought came with a stick on thermometer strip that I wasn't sure what to do with. If I stick that to the side of the plastic primary, is that supposed to give me the temp of the side of the fermenter, or the outer air around the fermenter? In other words, if that says 65, am I good, or should I adjust for fermentation heat?

Because the thermometer's in contact with the fermenter, it should give you pretty close to the temperature of the contents. As long as the place you stick it is below the level of the liquid.

It won't be 100% accurate, because the plastic will insulate a little bit, but should be close enough for government work ;)

Because the thermometer's in contact with the fermenter, it should give you pretty close to the temperature of the contents. As long as the place you stick it is below the level of the liquid.

It won't be 100% accurate, because the plastic will insulate a little bit, but should be close enough for government work ;)

Heh, your government or ours? Probably about the same!

Spent some time in Brisbane, loved it, and miss having some XXXX on the beach...

Back