3 ipas in a row with a murky brown color

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotbags-10

Reaction score
Last 3 ipa's that I've brewed have had a weird brown color to them. First one had omega's Conan yeast. Second had 1272 and latest had Imperial's version of Conan yeast. So I thinks it's safe to assume it's not the yeast. Simple grain bills with 2 row, Vienna and oats. All have fully attenuated. All have used the same combination of hops. They were bulk hops purchased. Weirdly enough I have brewed other beers in between these that were flawless. Is it possible it's some type of infection from the hops? View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1450638853.312012.jpg

A recipe and your process would be helpful as well.

I've had this same issue with some IPAs of mine. Unfortunately, haven't really found an answer except thinking it could be oxidation. Do you bottle or keg? Is there a muddled smell or can you still get the hops in the aroma and flavor?

The first two batches I bottled and they tasted horrible. The latest batch I kegged and its drinkable so far. Funny thing is I was meaning to dump all the bottles but haven't gotten around to it and last night I tried one and it made a miraculous turn around. But it's still very brown.

Mash temp and time? Are you dry hopping?

When does it develop this color?

I had a similiar issue myself on a 2x IPA. I chalked it up to oxidation or old hops. Very curious to see what others think.

I had this happen on a batch of IPA over the summer. I dry hopped it longer than I wanted to, but other than that, no real production issues. I cold crashed and kegged it around the first of October, and bottled off a couple of 12 packs to share with people. They tasted great, but had that same sort of muddy brown color, but I chalked it up to not being totally settled yet. However, over the next few weeks they got worse. They lost the fruity hop flavor and were kind of muddled. I also discovered around this time that I had a regulator leak, and that my beer in the bottles was under carbonated, which I thought was the reasoning. I just left the beer in the fridge for a while.

Fast forward to a week or two ago. I popped another bottle. What a change! The color is a beautiful hazy orange, and it has an incredible tropical fruit flavor again.

What causes this? No idea. For being cold crashed, and bottled from a keg, there's a pretty considerable amount of sediment in the bottles though. Maybe the yeast were still doing some work. Maybe it's just cold conditioning doing some good. Some yeast can do biotransformations of hop components. I don't know enough about that to really comment though.

I had a similiar issue myself on a 2x IPA. I chalked it up to oxidation or old hops. Very curious to see what others think.

Hmm... That gets me thinking. Maybe the old hops are oxidizing the brew? Maybe a way to minimize would be to: Dry hop in a keg. Or dry hop cold. Or dry hop with hop pellets.

Back