3 gal AG, top up to 5 gal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Reaction score
I have been doing half batches having gone AG and miss the 5 gallons at a time method. I think I can do the grain math. I know my boil off rate, my preboil og/ efficiency average and the OG I would have to hit to still be able to top off.

Also, I was listening to BrewStrong and they talked about splitting a high OG beer with water. The same water type as the mash called for (ph5, gypsum, salts,etc.). So I was going to do the same.

And I am aware of any head retenion issues.

But I am still worried about hop additions. I can calculate IBU's for the three 3 gal and the 2 gal top off. Although I may up the hops a little just in case of aroma and flavor loss.

I'l post the recipe when I get it all together.

Any reason I shouldn't?
Thought?

After seeing joeunc's post and reading a little more I think I'm just gonna do it.

After seeing joeunc's post and reading a little more I think I'm just gonna do it.

Can you post a link to joeunc's posts? Been thinking about this as I only have a 4.5G pot. My thoughts were to mash enough grain for a 5G batch, boil the first runnings down, then top up with the sparge, boil to get hot break, cool and then top of with water (or boil the a 2nd sparge to get the hot break cool and top off).

I can't see how the aroma addition would need to be increased. high gravity kills IBU utilization (from what I've read), so I don't think you'd need to worry about aroma/flameout increases, maybe not even the 15 minute flavoring addition. just the primary bittering hop additions.

Latest posts

Back