3/8" ref copper IC help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCBrewer

Reaction score
i made a 50ft 3/8" wort chiller, bent it aroung a spaten keg... worked perfect... but the fittings i got were all wrong... half a tank of propane and half a spool of wire I got %ick to how for it.

I bought the wrong fittings and could not get them to seal...

Am i looking for 3/8" or 1/4" fittings.......

1/4 fittings for 3/8" OD tube ...

Fittings are nominal, tubing is actual dimensions (i.e., 1/4 = 3/8", 3/8 = 1/2", 1/2 = 5/8", etc.). Pipe is also nominal, as is National Pipe Thread, but not hose ... Confusing as hell ...

thanks, I got mine done. took minutes and i got a 50ft ic solidified with copper wire and garden hose fitting.

Looks killer ill update with a pic

1/4 fittings for 3/8" OD tube ...

Fittings are nominal, tubing is actual dimensions (i.e., 1/4 = 3/8", 3/8 = 1/2", 1/2 = 5/8", etc.). Pipe is also nominal, as is National Pipe Thread, but not hose ... Confusing as hell ...

Wow, good info. That woulda saved me an hour in the hardware store when I built mine.

OP - I also have a 50' 3/8 OD chiller and it works like a champ with the hose.

LOL i know right, the guy that worked the section actually thought I was stealing haha

I was taking stuff out of those crappy bags and fitting them together.

If im going to spend $30 on fittings and solder, I'm going to make damn sure I get the right ones.

I spend 2 hours screwing around with some 1/2" and cutting slits and making them smaller.... what a waste of time and solder.

I was done in minutes with the right size fittings. No leaks first try.

I hope someone else in the future reads this thread, cleared things right up for me.

Stuff like this is why I have no problem paying to be a member of this site period.

Latest posts

Back