2x4 IPA. To SMaSH or not to SMaSH?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koomber

Reaction score
I've been looking around and come across the concept of SMASH (Single Malt, Single Hop) which I think sounds like a (pardon the pun) smashing idea.

Apart from the the reservations about the single malt aspect of the idea which I'm struggling with, I've been thinking about a simple hop schedule and come up with the "2x4 IPA Project"
Which is simply thus:

1 Hop Variety, 4 Additions, 2oz per addition (well, I'll be honest, I'm using 50g, but 2x4 sounds better).

2oz at 60 min
2oz at 30 min
2oz at 5 min
2 oz dry hop

If I do go for single malt it'll be all Maris Otter to give an OG of around 1.064, so the beers will be quite beefy.

As an experiment this should be interesting, as (for example) Simcoe would give an IBU of 115. Cascade should weigh in at 47.3 which will be a totally different beast.

My only fear if I stick with the 2x4 philosophy (which might be completely stupid anyway) is that the complete absence of other grains than MO might just leave the malt side of things a bit bare. Should I try this as a SMaSH or should I consider putting some Munich Malt (maybe 2 pounds) in there to give it some backbone

you could do it SMaSH for simplicity, bet it would still be good. but i think the 2x4 sounds real cool either way. im not even real big on ipa's but if some one said they had a 2x4 ipa. and explained about the hop schedule, then i would jump on it. i might have to brew one...

also the similar threads at the bottom of this post. one says MO smash. they said theirs turned out good.

Toast 2-3lbs of the maris and watch the magic happen. Im accually going to use 13 lbs of Crystal Maris Otter on my next smash.

Don't know how well a 1.064 beer would stand up to 115 IBU's. That BU:GU ratio is over the top, even for an IPA. 1.090 My IIPA's come in around 100 IBU's and that is plenty bitter.

I'd move the last 4oz additions to 15min or less for more hop flavor/aroma than bitterness. YMMV

Latest posts

Back