2nd recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am in the midst of planning my 2nd batch. My first batch is currently in bottles and I plan on trying one this weekend however I am thinking it may be to early. Anyway, here is my general plan for my second batch. Keep in mind I dont have alot of supply of LME or hops around me so I am using a kit only for that.

-Coopers Real Ale kit
-1KG Pale DME instead of the 1KG sugar they recomend
-Nottingham ale yeast istead of the yeast that comes with the kit

I plan on doing a partial boil to incorporate the kit and DME then cool and into carboy with the balance of the water and yeast, ferment at room temp for about 4 weeks (2 more than they recomemd).

Thats my general plan. Any recomendations?

Dave

Sounds good, but if you boil a no-boil kit then you'll lose some of the aroma/flavor hops taste. Are you planning on adding hops during the boil?

Thanks for the reply. I am not going to bring it to a full boil, only a few minutes to incorporate all ingrediants. I would say it would be to less than a boil, more heated until the wort is uniform. And no I wont be adding hops, its pre-hopped.

Thanks !

Dave

I would ferment as cool as possible. I don't know what your room temp is but at my house it fluctuates from about 68-76 or so. I think you will see better results if you use a tub full of water or a swamp chiller to help control the temp. From what I have read on here, Nottingham is a really good clean yeast when used at cooler temps. 3 weeks is plenty long fermentation I think. But another week isn't going to hurt anything.

Good Luck

Back