2nd recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DSeibel

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am in the midst of planning my 2nd batch. My first batch is currently in bottles and I plan on trying one this weekend however I am thinking it may be to early. Anyway, here is my general plan for my second batch. Keep in mind I dont have alot of supply of LME or hops around me so I am using a kit only for that.

-Coopers Real Ale kit
-1KG Pale DME instead of the 1KG sugar they recomend
-Nottingham ale yeast istead of the yeast that comes with the kit

I plan on doing a partial boil to incorporate the kit and DME then cool and into carboy with the balance of the water and yeast, ferment at room temp for about 4 weeks (2 more than they recomemd).

Thats my general plan. Any recomendations?

Dave

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds good, but if you boil a no-boil kit then you'll lose some of the aroma/flavor hops taste. Are you planning on adding hops during the boil?

OP
D

DSeibel

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I am not going to bring it to a full boil, only a few minutes to incorporate all ingrediants. I would say it would be to less than a boil, more heated until the wort is uniform. And no I wont be adding hops, its pre-hopped.

Thanks !

Dave

bell0347

Reaction score
I would ferment as cool as possible. I don't know what your room temp is but at my house it fluctuates from about 68-76 or so. I think you will see better results if you use a tub full of water or a swamp chiller to help control the temp. From what I have read on here, Nottingham is a really good clean yeast when used at cooler temps. 3 weeks is plenty long fermentation I think. But another week isn't going to hurt anything.

Good Luck