2nd batch, and would like to try a starter...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonzailopper

Reaction score
In a couple weeks I'm going to be brewing my second batch ever. It's a True Brew Irish Stout out of an extract kit with steeping grains. The kit comes with a packet of Muntons yeast. I wanted to try and do a starter for it, but as I'm researching it I'm reading that you should only do a starter for liquid yeast. The yeast packet says to dissolve in water before pitching, so I was wondering if that was the same thing.

Also, I'm assuming I'll have to buy the same DME to do the starter that I'll be using in the Stout. In other words, I shouldn't be using the ingredients from the kit to do the starter, right?

Final question: Should I even bother? It's an extract kit. I used a True Brew kit on my first batch, and just sprinkled the yeast. It worked great. Am I biting off more than I can chew???

You shouldn't do starters with dry yeast. Their cell counts are already high enough. The instructions are for rehydrating the yeast, which is good to do with beers over OG 1.060. You can rehydrate any dry yeast per the manufacturer's instructions, but you can also sprinkle the dry yeast on top of the wort after aerating for lower-gravity brews. I've done it both ways and it works both ways. For lower-gravity beers, it's more convenient to just pitch IMHO.

Starters are for liquid yeast, as the cell counts are significantly lower than those in dry yeast packs.

But you do ask the right question. We like it when people want to make starters. :mug:

I use dry yeast as it is less expensive than liquid and I tend to brew beers that call of Nottingham or 05. I will though collect the yeast from a finished batch, wash it and use it in the next brew that call for that strain of yeast.

You are correct, do not steal extract from your kits to make a starter. Rather, pick up a couple of pounds of Light Malt Extract to make your starters.

+1 for making a starter but only with liquid.

I prefer liquid yeast and starters mostly because I can fine tune my final tastes.

you'll need a beaker and some dme. If you think you'll be doing more starters go ahead and get a 2liter flask.

Correct pitching rate of yeast = better beer.

Latest posts

Back