2nd AG Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nothreat

Reaction score
I just completed my 2nd AG. It is a Pete's Wicked Ale clone. I calculated my efficiency and (if I did it right), I hit 82%. I find that hard to believe, but I hit my OG dead on. I was shooting for .054 - .058 and I hit .056. I am pretty excited about that. I did screw up a bit though. I had an aroma hop addition for the last two minutes of the boil. At five minutes from the end, I had someone come to the door and I got to talking. I left it boiling for about 10 minutes. No biggie, but when I came back I forgot to add the hops. I killed the flame and started cooling with my chiller. I remember the hops at about 160 degrees and just threw them in. I decided to go ahead and dump the entire contents of the boil into the primary to get as much of the aroma hop effect as I could. Will that work, or did I just waste an ounce of hops?

I am doing another AG tomorrow - a Rye Porter. I am not answering any doors, phone, or anything else.

I find that when I am brewing I can not do anything else or my beer will suffer. Let friends and people who come to the door know that you are busy right now and can not be disturbed or what you are doing will be ruined. They will understand.

An extra 10 mins. of boiling will affect your IBU's, I'm sure it will still taste fine though, one thing you could have done was to hold onto the last hop addition and use it to dry hop.

Back