220v/240v Current Meter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broni

Reaction score
I'm setting up an electric brewing control panel and I purchased a current meter: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YY1KOHA/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It is my understanding that if I put the lead that hosts all of my 110v components (PIDs, leds, pump, etc) and also drives my 220v circuit, through the current meter donut, it will read 220v and the appropriate amperage.

I have most of my control panel setup, but when I test, I'm only seeing 110v. Currently, I have everything running off of one 110v leg except for an LED that uses 220v. My guess is that when the element is running, it will show 220v, since that leg will have 220v because of the heating element. I still have to hook up the heating element, so not sure if my assumption is correct.

My question is - did I set this up correctly? Will my current meter change between 110v and 220v depending on if the element is running? Is there any way to get it to stay consistent (ie. 220v all of the time).

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it doesn't sound like it's wired up correctly. The donut only measures current flowing in the wire that goes thru the donut. The donut cannot sense voltage at all. The voltage is sensed by the other two leads (not the donut leads), and if those wires are connected to a hot wire and a neutral wire, it will measure 120V. If you connect those wires to the separate hot lines, then it will measure 240 volts. Sounds like you have the voltage (and power supply) wires connected to 1 hot and neutral.

Brew on :mug:

yes on that model (I have a couple) you power them from the voltage you want to measure and the main SINGLE hot wire with the most running off it goes through the donut.

Back