20gal pots for an electric HERMS brewery?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mamerong

Reaction score
I'm putting together a 10gal electric brewery with a HERMS system and was thinking 15 or 20gal pots. what size would be better and what would be good pots for The system at a reasonable price (including valves if possible)?

15gal is fine. You're best bet is sanke kegs modified. Stainless or bust my friend.

I'm putting together a 10gal electric brewery with a HERMS system and was thinking 15 or 20gal pots. what size would be better and what would be good pots for The system at a reasonable price (including valves if possible)?

If you are planning 10 gal batches I would go with a 20 gal pot. I did 10 gal brews in a 15 gal kettle and have since moved to a 20 gal kettle. Much less stressful when it comes to the chance of boil overs.

Check these out at StainlessStockPots.com You would need to add a bulkhead and valve, but that's not that difficult. I did it and i ain't all that adept at that kind of stuff

yea 10 finished gallons (12-13 preboil) is the max you can comfortably do in a sankey kettle. 20 gallon would be great if you can find it, but kegs are normally easier to come by or are cheaper. atleast around here.

If you want 10 gallons of finished beer (i.e. 2 FULL cornies), 15 gallon kettles is a compromise. 20 gallons is fine. I make batches aiming for a 12 gallon post boil volume and I'm building my next gen system around 25 gallon vessels. I currently have a 15 gal kettle. It sucks. It makes beer just fine, it's just a PITA when your pre-boil volume comes with about an inch and a half of the lip of the kettle.

If you want to do 10gal batches comfortably and and can swing it, get the 20gal. You won't regret it.

You'll find very few threads on here with people complaining that their kettles are too big. :):)

Latest posts

Back