2021 FotD Secret Santa Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick timeline update --

Covid sucks, winter weather is the worst, and this January is absolutely nothing like the past several years. In recognition that things are a bit crazy at the moment I'm going to push back the "big reveal" by at least a week, and recommend people not stress about shipping if they can't make the 18th.

I recognize that this may create logistical difficulties for people which I did not ask about at the onset of this -- If you are not able to receive packages through roughly the end of the month (and haven't received your box!) please reach out to me and I will work something out with your Santa.

Please stay safe everyone -- You will get beer, even if I have to can it myself. ;)

Quick timeline update --

Covid sucks, winter weather is the worst, and this January is absolutely nothing like the past several years. In recognition that things are a bit crazy at the moment I'm going to push back the "big reveal" by at least a week, and recommend people not stress about shipping if they can't make the 18th.

I recognize that this may create logistical difficulties for people which I did not ask about at the onset of this -- If you are not able to receive packages through roughly the end of the month (and haven't received your box!) please reach out to me and I will work something out with your Santa.

Please stay safe everyone -- You will get beer, even if I have to can it myself. ;)

Kinda ruined the reveal part on my end. Oops.

Thanks for looking out though! It’s kinda crazy right now. A neighboring school system didn’t have enough bus drivers to take kids home today.

I’ll go ahead and volunteer for some of that Thorrak HB though.

Kinda ruined the reveal part on my end. Oops.

Thanks for looking out though! It’s kinda crazy right now. A neighboring school system didn’t have enough bus drivers to take kids home today.

I’ll go ahead and volunteer for some of that Thorrak HB though.
Doesn’t matter! You can reveal yourself as a Santa, you can reveal who you think your Santa is as a giftee, it’s drunken Santa - blame it on the hooch!

Thorrak homebrew is several states away at the moment, and while it used to be officially “passable” it’s starting to make its way into the “drinkable” category. Soon, it might even be good!

Santa showed up right at the end of the day and wow did he hit a home run!! Everything made it safe and sound. Thank you!!
B647A014-F735-40AC-8F91-9993AFA48EB9.jpeg

Quick timeline update --

Aww man, why did you post this? Procrastination is my superpower. If I don’t have to ship by the 18th, I may put it off another week for no good reason.

Quick timeline update --

Thanks @Thorrak for sharing this. It is crazy times for sure and sometimes it feels like it will never end. UGH! With that being said, whomever is my Secret Santa, please don't worry about shipping on time to me. Family, work, life is general is more important than a package of beer shipped to a stranger friend states away. Are we strangers here? I don't think so... I continue to check this thread multiple times a day looking for what people received because I love to see what everyone gets from their Secret Santa.

Stay safe everyone!

Last edited:
Finally was able to pick some lager from one of my favorite local breweries yesterday, so mine went out the door today! This was my first year doing the swap, and it was great fun shopping for beers. I even discovered a few new breweries that I now love! Thanks to Thorrak for handling the admin on this!

Finally was able to pick some lager from one of my favorite local breweries yesterday, so mine went out the door today! This was my first year doing the swap, and it was great fun shopping for beers. I even discovered a few new breweries that I now love! Thanks to Thorrak for handling the admin on this!
Awesome!!
Be careful you might get hooked on this and want to do it again and again. I know I look forward to it every year! Also, if you want to do more trades this year look out for the next FotD trade. I participate in a couple every year.

No rush on my end either. Not only do I have more than enough beer to drink right now, I'll be swimming in beer when I receive all of my loot from winning the HBT PPR Fantasy League... :rock:

Also, I am super-slacker extraordinaire and likely won't ship until next week sometime... apologies to my giftee.

Same here. I’ve been under the weather, so I haven’t had a chance to get out to shop yet. I’m hoping I’ll be able to keep my scheduled trip to Sacramento tomorrow to start picking up some goodies…hopefully ship next week.

My box arrived today, and I definitely think this counts as going above and beyond! Couldn't be more excited to try these, especially all the different options from Other Half. And thanks for including a cider! My wife is gluten free, so it's great to be able to share something with her! Guess I'll just have to drink the rest myself. 😁 Cheers, everyone!

Attachments

• PXL_20220114_201152897.jpg
    PXL_20220114_201152897.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 38
My box arrived today, and I definitely think this counts as going above and beyond! Couldn't be more excited to try these, especially all the different options from Other Half. And thanks for including a cider! My wife is gluten free, so it's great to be able to share something with her! Guess I'll just have to drink the rest myself. 😁 Cheers, everyone!
... Someone did not understand the size limit. :mad:

Yeah..I'll be guilty of that too. I had the limit in mind..but then the box looked funny with 12 slots...and only 8 beers....and then I was thinking since I'm not drinking them..they're in danger of being less and less fresh which I don't want...and so my giftee might as well benefit from it...and then I remembered that a local tasting room does something cool with their beers (I think its cool, especially since we're all home brewers here, we'll see I guess if similar thoughts reveal themselves later.) and...

so..it is a domino effect really..or perhaps snowball effect may be more appropriate based on some of the weather being experienced by people in here...

Well..I just checked and my recipient's package is in their neighboring state....and that location along w/the destination doesn't appear to have any inclement weather at the moment...

So..brown truck should hurling said package at their doorstop by "Tuesday, January 18 by 9:00 P.M."

Well..I just checked and my recipient's package is in their neighboring state....and that location along w/the destination doesn't appear to have any inclement weather at the moment...

So..brown truck should hurling said package at their doorstop by "Tuesday, January 18 by 9:00 P.M."

Confirmed. Arrived in city at 0534 this morning, out for delivery at 0859.

Dropped mine off last night. Apologies for the box and packing materials to my recipient, I usually just use a box that I have on hand, and that’s what I did. The box was a bit big for the contents, so there’s a lot of packing materials. I swear I didn’t just ship my recycle bin, there’s beer in there too.

Dropped mine off last night. Apologies for the box and packing materials to my recipient, I usually just use a box that I have on hand, and that’s what I did. The box was a bit big for the contents, so there’s a lot of packing materials. I swear I didn’t just ship my recycle bin, there’s beer in there too.
I would be lying if I said I never did anything like this. 😉

Back