2018 Dark Lord Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No news that I've read. Been the last 5 years or so but I'm out this year.

The beer isn't worth the price of admission for me anymore. $200 for 5 bottles of beer, the most desirable one being completely random and half of the variants I've had have been horrible.

I heard they were pushing it back quite a bit this year, so much so that tickets might not go on sale until sometime in April. I was thinking about going for the first time this year but currently do not have the funds for it. Plus I'd probably end up driving there picking up my beer and driving home lol. I am still very interested in trying a bottle.

No news that I've read. Been the last 5 years or so but I'm out this year.

The beer isn't worth the price of admission for me anymore. $200 for 5 bottles of beer, the most desirable one being completely random and half of the variants I've had have been horrible.

Yeah the beer was never the reason I started going. Dark Lord is the worst beer at the event actually haha. I just enjoy going because I like the shares and getting away for the weekend with some friends. That's worth the admission price to me.

I went in '16 and had a great time despite rain pretty much the entire time we were there. Last year it was on mother's day weekend which is a non-starter for me.

I'm thinking about going this year but I'm with some others in that I'm not really a fan of Dark Lord. I still have 3 bottles from '16.

I went in '16 and had a great time despite rain pretty much the entire time we were there. Last year it was on mother's day weekend which is a non-starter for me.

I'm thinking about going this year but I'm with some others in that I'm not really a fan of Dark Lord. I still have 3 bottles from '16.

I still have 15, 16 and 17's haha. Just opened my '17 variant (bourbon barrel) a few weeks ago.

I have only heard great things about the Dark Lord beer. What do you guys not like about it?

Definitely sweet. I am sitting on several bottles of 16' and 17' a 16' french vanilla and 17' de muerte.

I heard they were pushing it back quite a bit this year, so much so that tickets might not go on sale until sometime in April. I was thinking about going for the first time this year but currently do not have the funds for it. Plus I'd probably end up driving there picking up my beer and driving home lol. I am still very interested in trying a bottle.
Where in Chicagoland are you? I've got tons of DL.

Just a heads up
Screenshot_20180320-192024_Chrome.jpg

What's the scoop on that?
Everyone will have an electronic wristband and you can activate before the event. You can link your credit/debit card to it and use your wristband to pay for everything. It will also be used to pick up the allotment of bottles and a few other things.

WHAT CAN I BRING?
Your wristband and ID are a must; you need a valid passport or U.S. ID to enter the festival. Also OK: standard-size backpacks no larger than 10x10x16 and without wheels or frames. Up to 72 ounces of beer; must fit in your backpack.

You and your belongings are subject to security screening and search upon entry to the festival. Failure to consent to security screening and search will result in denial of entry.

Looks like we're limited to 1 six-pack this year. Probably not a bad thing. :D

Last edited:
Thay have action figures too.......?

I think the guy who made the comic was there last year with action figures. It's all a blur though...

Yeahh.. Last year I almost didn't make it to the event and I had to drink pedialyte all morning to even make it out of my hotel room to the shuttle....

Going to try and not repeat that this year haha.

WHAT CAN I BRING?
Your wristband and ID are a must; you need a valid passport or U.S. ID to enter the festival. Also OK: standard-size backpacks no larger than 10x10x16 and without wheels or frames. Up to 72 ounces of beer; must fit in your backpack.

You and your belongings are subject to security screening and search upon entry to the festival. Failure to consent to security screening and search will result in denial of entry.

I also noticed that you can not bring beer in on reentry.

But agreed, that's just going to lead to more consumption outside the gate.

Thats good then. Just myself and my brother this year. I think the holiday inn in schererville is what we are gonna do

I got group b. My wife’s computer got through first and I think she just chose best available. Probably would have preferred a later one, but oh well.

From what i gather. The website was selling no tickets after about 20mins into the sale. My buddy waited in queue for 15mins to get sold out.

From what i gather. The website was selling no tickets after about 20mins into the sale. My buddy waited in queue for 15mins to get sold out.
I know people who got tickets about 45 min in. I had a few computers going and it kicked me off two of them saying no tickets were left and then the other computer gave me group c after that.

I had several computers running for ~20 minutes. Used my phone and got right in. Same thing for my friends. We got all out tickets using phones. No one got through on a computer.

We opted to to the Smells like a Brew Fest at Mikerphone instead of DLD this year. That event sold out in about 15 seconds. I'd rather have BA ISLBS than DL (I still have 3 bottles of '16 that I can't get fired up to open) plus better music, cheaper tix, and a really nice list of guest taps tipped the scales.

Recieved thy magic bracelets today. Im glad you can register your own card on these. Have a feeling my brother would be buying beers for everyone at some point. Lol.

Everyone will have an electronic wristband and you can activate before the event. You can link your credit/debit card to it and use your wristband to pay for everything. It will also be used to pick up the allotment of bottles and a few other things.
Do you not realise that rfid chips are the mark of Satan and once you put on the armband your soul will forever be in possession of the evil one and never again will you be able to taste the sweet delights of an neipa pilsner or heavenly Wit, as these are the beers of our Lord and savior?
(Life hack; you can still go if you wrap testicles in tinfoil and wire trailing on the ground to stay earthed)

Back