2012 Cascade: Use or toss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schematix

Reaction score
I bought a few lbs of pellet Cascade from hopsdirect back in the fall of 12 (crop year 2012). Fast forward 3 years and I've still got 8oz left. It's been broken down into 2oz vacuum packs, and stored in a freezer non-stop since then.

Do I dare use these in a pale ale, or should I just chuck them?

I would use them. Maybe 25% more than something fresher.. But there is a Brulosophy post where 2004 hops were used a year or two back.. I am kidding not.. Google it...

Use them!

First, smell them to make sure they smell ok (not 'cheesy') but otherwise, you can definitely use them if they have been frozen the entire time.

I used some 2007 hops not too long ago.

^^^^About to say that.

It goes back to the ol' rule of 'if it doesn't smell good enough to smell it again, don't put it in your mouth'. Goes with more than just beer.

My motto: Stick it where it fits (admittedly it does require some application of common sense though)

Guess i'll go ahead and use them up in my cascade/centennial pale ale.

Do cheesy smelling hops result in cheesy smelling and tasting beer or something else?

I ask as all hops smell somewhat similar yet have quite different tastes.

Update: I went ahead and used 8oz in a 45min hop steep (with 2oz CY2012 centennial). The beer has a really nice citrus hop flavor and there are no off flavors.

Back