2009 Hop garden picture thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrymonkey

Reaction score
I searched through the forum and did not see one for this year. Last years picture thread was pretty neat to look through.

Since the rhizomes are shipping, I figured we could get another thread going for this season.

So, post up the pics. Please include how mature the plant is, trellis system, fertilizing, and anything else you want to include.

This is where I am going to plant, unfortunantly I have to work until Monday.
Yesterday I tilled up all the soil underneath.

100_2110.jpg

I have 8 different rhizomes I will be planting. not all in the same area.

Off the top of my head I have

Zeus
cascade
brewers gold
chinook
centennial
Mt Hood
Northern brewer
Willamette

this will be my fist time growing hops. i ordered 2 rhizomes from my LHBS. i think it was centennial and willamette.

i can wait to see people's setups so i can borrow from their ideas.

my plan right now is to just use something similar to this
http://***********/images/stories/growinghops/photo 1.jpg

That looks really nice. How long are you able to let the bines grow with that set-up?
This is my first year growing. The structure is about 12 feet tall. (rough guess on my part.

I figure I can run stringers at an angle, then run them along the top to make more room.

I could submit a picture of my empty backyard. I filled in a swimming pool to make room for hops. That dedication!

I'm keeping my pool.

The trellis poles come home. More soon.

Hop_Trellis_-3-19-09_005.jpg

Loaded them and unloaded them all by myself.
Hop_Trellis_-3-19-09_001.jpg

The Site-orange flags mark holes. The culvert will replace a concrete one in my drive, soon.
Hop_Trellis_-3-19-09_007.jpg

They are power poles from Consumers Power. I called and they looked at the pile of old ones and told me they had what I wanted. And they were free!

21'-ish long, 4' in ground leaves me about 17' to the 1/4" ridge cable. I am planning a two row configuration, with V-shaped 3/8" natural rope at each rhizome, for the bines to climb. The distance between poles will be 25', with 50' of cable so I can lower and raise the ridge portion, for attaching and removing the ropes. The cable will be fixed at one end and on a SS flush mount pulley on the other pole.

My Tettnanger

My Northern Brewer

Both are second year plants and I am excited to see how they do. Trellis is getting built this weekend as well as some TLC work to the garden.

Cascade has yet to come up yet. Not too hopefull as I think the nodes broke off in transit.

Mt hood in the ground for a week. Have another mt hood not showing yet and 2 cascades not showing yet.
nablis-mthood1.jpg

nablis-cascade_rhizomes.jpg

nablis-mthood_rhizomes.jpg

Mt hood in the ground for a week. Have another mt hood not showing yet and 2 cascades not showing yet.
nablis-mthood1.jpg

nablis-cascade_rhizomes.jpg

nablis-mthood_rhizomes.jpg

Wow, those look like some good Rhizomes. I ordered from thyme garden and they were not as big as those for sure. Actually I ordered 2 Cascades and they sent 3 because I think they were so small, the others (chinook, centennial, willamette and magnum) were larger than the cascades they sent.

Yeah I am happy with them. I got them from homebrewing.org and have more on the way form nikobrew.

Wow those are some big rhizomes.. Much bigger than I got from hopfarmer HBT member... Not sure if you can beat his prices but I was willing to pay for bigger rhizomes. The ones sent out have all broke ground but one..

I am not sure that size is everything with rhizomes. The smallest one I got last year (~8mm in diameter) had the largest harvest at the end of the year.

I'm much greener with envy than my hops are right now. I checked on Sunday and I've got nothing doing in my three hop hills. Then again, there are still scattered snow piles on the edges of big parking lots and a few front yards.

Some of my flower bulbs have sent up almost 2" of leaf, though!

I planted my rhizomes April 17 last year during some unseasonably mild weather and got shoots on all of them within a week. Three rhizomes gave me just over 2 oz dry hops, most of which was some very tasty Cascade.

I got my garden turned this last weekend and my 4 new hop plants in the ground, and new string on my hop pole. My last years plants have started growing, but the weather is supposed to turn cold again hopefully they won't freeze.

2009 hops 001.jpg

2009 hops 002.jpg

2009 hops 003.jpg

2009 hops 004.jpg

2009 hops 005.jpg

Dont have anything to take pics of yet, hopefully soon.. Put a single cascade and a single Northern Brewer in the ground 5 days ago.. Gently uncovered them yesterday evening to check if I was waiting on sticks and there is new root growth and sprouts everywhere so I expect them to be busting out any day..

I feel like an idiot walking out to look at them every 2 hours..

Don't laugh...it's to keep the cats from crapping in my hops!
DSCF0028.JPG

Cascades taking off first, as usual:
DSCF0030.JPG

Centennial not far behind:
DSCF0029.JPG

They are power poles from Consumers Power. I called and they looked at the pile of old ones and told me they had what I wanted. And they were free!

21'-ish long, 4' in ground leaves me about 17' to the 1/4" ridge cable. I am planning a two row configuration, with V-shaped 3/8" natural rope at each rhizome, for the bines to climb. The distance between poles will be 25', with 50' of cable so I can lower and raise the ridge portion, for attaching and removing the ropes. The cable will be fixed at one end and on a SS flush mount pulley on the other pole.

Henry I was going to do the same thing the lady next door works for comsumers I think I might be able to get them dropped off maybe even stuck in the ground.
Do you ever get to Owosso our brew club meets there at the wrought iron grill.

Pat

Dont have anything to take pics of yet, hopefully soon.. Put a single cascade and a single Northern Brewer in the ground 5 days ago.. Gently uncovered them yesterday evening to check if I was waiting on sticks and there is new root growth and sprouts everywhere so I expect them to be busting out any day..

I feel like an idiot walking out to look at them every 2 hours..

Get used to it! I check on mine several time a day when I am home. Just to see if they have grown. :)

I'll be damned if I didnt just walk out and the cascades are peeking through.. Now I'll have to walk out every hour to check on the NB's..

First time trying to link a picture....hope this works....

Picasa Web Albums - S - Hops

So this is my first attempt growing hops. From left to right I planted.. Cascade, Chinook, Saaz, & Fuggle. You'll notice the Fuggles are in that tiny planter...my other large planter fell apart on me...so I'm going to transplant it in a week or so when I get a new planter. Also, you'll notice I added that trellis type device in the back of each pot...and leaned them against the porch..allowing the hops to further climb up the rod iron railing for a total height of about 12'.

Seeing that this is my first time....any sort of feedback would be appreciated.

I got my rhizomes in the ground on Tuesday. I had to use tomato plant cages to keep my dog from diggin them up. I also sprinkled some cayanne pepper over the mounds.

Hopefully my hops do not turn out angry. Like the whopper. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cascade hops, 3 rhizomes. Might regret it as they are taking off quickly.

Those 3 look too close. If you just put them in, try spreading them out a little-one near each corner and one in the middle. Otherwise you'll end up with entwined crowns pretty quick.
Better yet if you have the room, dig two more holes and transplant.

You are going to block out the sun from the pool.

Very funny, the sun will shine on the front of it, not the back. I was actually going to go with 4ft longer boards but I am glad I didn't, those are 12ft long to the top. I don't think my neighbors would like me if I did that.

It call also serve as a screen for movie nights by the pool this summer with a white sheet and bringing one of my projectors outside

I put in my cable trellis at 9' above the ground, and then ran coconut husk twine in V's down to the 4 hops. From right to left, Hallertau, Golding, Centennial, and Cascade.

Put the hops in the ground 3 weeks ago, and the next day found out it was supposed to freeze over the weekend, so I pulled them out. Turns out to be a good idea, since the mountains have seen ~100" of snow in the past week.

hopgarden090330.jpg

I put in my cable trellis at 9' above the ground, and then ran coconut husk twine in V's down to the 4 hops. From right to left, Hallertau, Golding, Centennial, and Cascade.

Put the hops in the ground 3 weeks ago, and the next day found out it was supposed to freeze over the weekend, so I pulled them out. Turns out to be a good idea, since the mountains have seen ~100" of snow in the past week.

hopgarden090330.jpg

Wow, I think that was a wise decision to pull them out. How long is your warm season? You may want to start them out in planters indoors.

Wow, I think that was a wise decision to pull them out. How long is your warm season? You may want to start them out in planters indoors.

Hops actually grow really well in Utah (though you'd never guess it). I know of a few "patches" of wild hops growing in the hills that produce garbage-bags full each year. Pretty amazing to me that they can survive 500+" of snowfall and then put out 10lbs of cones.

I think this week is supposed to be the last hard snow of the season (for reals), but if the weather starts showing anything else happening I'm going to put them in some pots.

Back