2008 NHC Comp First Round...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys, I just need to stand up and speak for the competition organizers for a moment. I've organized a competition, helped sort entries for a couple, and judged at many others. The NHC first round judging is held like any other large competition. You have a homebrew club or some group of them working to organize and execute the regional compeitions. There is no paid staff, at least not at the regional level. They are all volunteers who have lives, jobs, and families outside the competition.

While you might think some improvements to databases and reporting might not be too much work, you tend to underestimate what is involved. First, you have to find someone with the skills. Then, from among those, you have to find someone with the time. Then, you have to find someone with the desire. It is not easy. If you really want to see some improvement, keep entering or, even better, get involved. In the meantime, please have some patience and understanding.

TL

I'd hate to think that another HBTer had their entry lost as mine was. AHA did say I wasn't the only one to have an entry lost. Other regions had problems as well.

In my limited view of this..

all of the prizes are donated or are promotional items. The organizers truley hope to just break even. I imagine they do not always do that.

I e-mails the AHA and this is the response I received from Janis Gross. It appears that they haven't sent out the score sheets for the Old West Division yet. Patience is indeed reqiuired.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for entering the 2008 National Homebrew Competition. This year there were 5,643 entries from 1,307 brewers; both of which are new records!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have contacted the organizer for the Old West region regarding the status of the score sheets. The Old West Region organizer (new region and a brand new organizer this year) has not sent the score sheets out because the results had not been posted. All of the score sheets will be mailed today. I take full responsibility for the delay in the score sheets not being sent out before now, and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

I e-mails the AHA and this is the response I received from Janis Gross. It appears that they haven't sent out the score sheets for the Old West Division yet. Patience is indeed reqiuired.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for entering the 2008 National Homebrew Competition. This year there were 5,643 entries from 1,307 brewers; both of which are new records!

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have contacted the organizer for the Old West region regarding the status of the score sheets. The Old West Region organizer (new region and a brand new organizer this year) has not sent the score sheets out because the results had not been posted. All of the score sheets will be mailed today. I take full responsibility for the delay in the score sheets not being sent out before now, and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Yea, like a posted earlier in this thread, the north east organizer told me not to expext score sheets until mid may. Some regions just sent them out pretty much the day after they judged, other wait till the first round results are released.

That being said, I definitely am anxious to see mine as well.

Still, 40.5 is a pretty kick a$$ score to get on a beer, and you should feel really proud that you're producing beer that great.

My english pale moved on but the high score was a 39, so I know it didnt even touch that 40 point mark.

Thanks for the kind words. I was really hoping to advance this year since nationals are in my hometown. By the looks of the results from my region, it looks like Cincy will be well represented.

Finally got my sheets back and am overall very pleased.

My APA scored a 27, which I kind of expected as this was my Haus Amarillo-Ale with only 25IBU or so. I was tempted to put it in the Blonde Ale category and think it would have scored better there. No negative comments or noticable off-flavors, etc. Just needed a higher mash temp (I missed way low on this one) or some more malt profile (provided by higher mash temp)...

Then the (somewhat) shocker... my Abbey Pale Ale scored 41! Got some really good comments on it. "Very good example of style..." , "Balanced and very drinkable with obvious Belgian character. Basically what one would expect from a Belgian Pale Ale." etc.

I brewed this and just kegged and forced carbed it about 2 days before the mailing deadline. Didn't even have time to use my BMBF, so I just filled a bottle as I would a growler. Overflowed it and capped on foam/liquid. The carbonation must have held the 2 weeks until judging and it must have tasted great from the comments. I was very satisfied that this simple Belgian Pale scored 41 when the top scorers in the category (43 was the high) were from 16A,C,E as opposed to 16B. So, no Belgian Pale placed, I had to be one of the better ones, I s'pose. Very pleased.

Unfortunately, I just froze the last 1/2 keg of this Belgian Pale so I'm hoping its OK once thawed! Haha...

Definitely happy with the results for my first competition. Expected the APA comments as it was a little 'light' and delightful news on the Belgian Pale.

I received my score sheets today. I scored a 37.5 on my American Brown Ale. The two judged found no flaws with my beer except I should have added more hops for the style. I am pleased!:mug:

Guys, I just need to stand up and speak for the competition organizers for a moment. I've organized a competition, helped sort entries for a couple, and judged at many others. The NHC first round judging is held like any other large competition. You have a homebrew club or some group of them working to organize and execute the regional compeitions. There is no paid staff, at least not at the regional level. They are all volunteers who have lives, jobs, and families outside the competition.

While you might think some improvements to databases and reporting might not be too much work, you tend to underestimate what is involved. First, you have to find someone with the skills. Then, from among those, you have to find someone with the time. Then, you have to find someone with the desire. It is not easy. If you really want to see some improvement, keep entering or, even better, get involved. In the meantime, please have some patience and understanding.

TL
Well said, it's quite a task organizing and putting together a comp especially 1st Rd of nationals. And yes most of those people are not even paid. Everyone should thank them for taking the time to do the comp's

Finally got my score sheet in for the Old West region. 25 for an American Amber. Not enough hops. Seems to be a common thread here. This was more a "personal" style and was too late to change it when I realized, like an idiot, that I was competing against style, not my personal taste. One thing I was at least pleased with, no technical problems like scorching the malt, or alcoholic taste from maturing to hot, etc. etc. One judge gave me a 8/10 on overall impression that said "the more I sit with this beer, the more I like it."
Again, this was an extract. Am I wasting my time entering these competitions brewing this way instead of going all grain??

Again, this was an extract. Am I wasting my time entering these competitions brewing this way instead of going all grain??

Sounds like you got some pretty good reviews there. I like that last comment, about the more he is sitting with it the more he likes it. That had to feel good reading.

I wouldnt say you are wasting your time, as you can make good beer with extract for sure. I will say that the AG difference is huge. I do 5 and a half gallon AG batches in my kitchen, on my stove. So its totally doable if you want to make the leap. The only this required is convert a cooler to an mlt, and buy a 8 gallon pot for full boils. Not to big a deal.

Will have to look into that. I emailed one of the judges and asked a bunch of questions about that. See what he says. I have a keggle system set up already for the extracts. I tell you, just about all extracts, except for AHS, has raised their prices about 10 dollars per kit. May be a lot cheaper to jump to all grain if I can get the time to study into it whereas I have confidence in brewing like I do with extracts.

Finally got my sheets back and am overall very pleased.

My APA scored a 27, which I kind of expected as this was my Haus Amarillo-Ale with only 25IBU or so. I was tempted to put it in the Blonde Ale category and think it would have scored better there. No negative comments or noticable off-flavors, etc. Just needed a higher mash temp (I missed way low on this one) or some more malt profile (provided by higher mash temp)...

Then the (somewhat) shocker... my Abbey Pale Ale scored 41! Got some really good comments on it. "Very good example of style..." , "Balanced and very drinkable with obvious Belgian character. Basically what one would expect from a Belgian Pale Ale." etc.

I brewed this and just kegged and forced carbed it about 2 days before the mailing deadline. Didn't even have time to use my BMBF, so I just filled a bottle as I would a growler. Overflowed it and capped on foam/liquid. The carbonation must have held the 2 weeks until judging and it must have tasted great from the comments. I was very satisfied that this simple Belgian Pale scored 41 when the top scorers in the category (43 was the high) were from 16A,C,E as opposed to 16B. So, no Belgian Pale placed, I had to be one of the better ones, I s'pose. Very pleased.

Unfortunately, I just froze the last 1/2 keg of this Belgian Pale so I'm hoping its OK once thawed! Haha...

Definitely happy with the results for my first competition. Expected the APA comments as it was a little 'light' and delightful news on the Belgian Pale.
Good score!, you'll have to bring one along to Evets brew day.

Good score!, you'll have to bring one along to Evets brew day.

If it recovers well from the freeze, I will definitely have to do that. I plan on testing it tonight. I can bring a couple growlers of it if I don't get time to fill bottles with a BMBF...

Hopefully the freezing didn't kill this beer as it was good and drinkable, and unless I can get my peach-wheat carbed by the brewday, it's the only good homebrew I've got right now (kicked the keg of the PA just the other day). The special bitter I have some left of is my last extract and its OK, but not as good as AG beer... Work is a b&^%$, wish I could brew more...

I've thought about entering Comps before, but always worried if what I like would be what the judges like. I've read posts like this on several sites and the general thing I here is "needs more", whether it be hops, malt, spice, etc.

I now understand why some people do well at comps and others don't (IMO), after reading this on another site

" I am a very active judge and I agree that the tendency is to score the more flavorful beers higher, particularly with the less experienced judges. I sometimes have to "reel in" an enthusiastic but misguided judge who is blundering down this path, particularly as we get deeper into a flight or flights. I see the results of this trend in the Best of Show round somewhat frequently, too, with beers that have big flavor but are way out of balance and simply not a harmonious brew.

That said, there is a possibility (probability?) that your beer is not going to be judged by an experienced team, and you may (will) be faced with this situation often. So, you can fret about it, or you can adapt your competition recipes to compensate.

One strategy that addresses your specific issue of "needs more" is to deliberately brew a caricature of the style. Let's say, for example, you were attempting to brew an American Amber, of which a typical commercial example might be reddish in color, have lots of caramel malt, and be moderately hoppy (less so than a Pale Ale). You might design a beer with LOTS of caramel malt (on the order of 15%), mash it cooler (~148F) or step mash it with a longer rest in the beta amylase range to compensate for the reduced fermentability, select a typical and easily-identifiable American hop (like Cascade) that any judge will recognize and then use it judiciously, and ferment it with a very clean yeast (WLP001, WY1056, Fermentis US05) so as not to generate a lot of fruity esters that might interfere with your malt and hop profile.

Another example might be a Bock. "You want Munich malt? "I'll give you Munich malt!" Two-thirds light Munich, one-third dark Munich, then an extra pound of Melanoidin malt. One charge of German hops for bittering only, preferably something like Tradition that is a little higher alpha to reduce the hop bulk and the possible vegetal flavors you get from that. Ferment with the cleanest possible lager yeast you can find, like WLP833 or 838. Now you have a true malt showcase with the appropriate German character with nothing to interfere or to detract.

I don't disagree with Bill's suggestion to brew towards the upper end of the style guidelines, but I would caution you to always keep balance and cleanness first and foremost in your brewing. I am reminded of the advice I received from my primary flight instructor lo, these many years ago: "Basic airwork is key. If you've got decent basic airwork, and you're smooth, you can goon it up to a certain degree and you'll still be OK." What he meant, parenthetically, is that nobody would notice you gooning it up a bit as long as you were smooth about it and trending towards a correction for the deviation. Same thing with brewing: As long as you are keeping harmony and balance in mind, while still featuring those characteristics that need to be featured in a particular style, you'll do well.

Bottom line? Clean, clean, clean. Avoid muddling up your recipe by throwing the kitchen sink in there. Select those features of the style that need to be featured, choose a few ingredients (traditional or not) that will do it, and brew away. Good luck and God bless."
End quote

This guy sent 9 beers on to the next round brewing on his stovetop in the kitchen. It's all in appealling to what the judges are looking for, and I like to brew for my own tastes.

So I guess no one will ever know my name like they know Jamil(22 beers to rd 2), but I like what I make.:D

The first part is from the judge who sampled my brew and the last part is some of the questions I had asked. Interesting insight.

As we had maybe judged about 12 beers in our flight, I may not remember your beer perfectly but I will attempt to give you the best input that I can.

First, let me say that the entire point of competitions is to improve on your brewing as well as get an idea as to how others perceive your beer in a blind tasting. As you have noticed, your friends aren't the best judges (mine do the same thing - every one is the "best beer ever" :) ). The reason there are style guidelines is so that there is a common ground on which to judge all beers. If we didn't have those, than taste bias would play too much of a roll. If you are not familiar, you should check out bjcp.org and look at the style guidelines and read about the program. It was developed so that competitions would be fair.

To answer some of your brewing questions, let me first say that you are not alone in any of them. When I first started, I had many. Now I have a little less than many. Brewing is an art, so there is hardly ever a right or wrong answer (unless we are talking about the basic chemistry). As for Extract vs. All-Grain, don't listen to people about that. I have been doing All-Grain for the past 3 years and have made over 50 batches in that time and I still will make an extract beer once in a while. I have won awards with extract beers before so I know it doesn't have anything to do with that.

In my experience, the reason people don't like extract as much or say it isn't as good is because most extract brewers are beginners. And let's face it, when you first start out, your beer is usually OK or good but rarely is it ever great. So, there is this unwritten bias that extract beer is "inferior" to all-grain and, mostly that isn't true. The only truth to that is that in all-grain, you have more control in the creation of your wort. You have more styles that you can make "properly" and you have a wider range of flavors that you can develop in your beer. With that being said, you can make excellent extract brews using good technique and recipe formulation. One thing you need to be aware of is how fresh your extract is. That will play a big part in how your beer turns out.

About your beer, let me see if I can try and help you out. The CO2 flavor I got was basically like drinking seltzer water. That flavor of air bubbles that tend to detract from the overall flavor of the beverage instead of support it. Corn sugar is fine for priming but make sure you have healthy yeast still (shouldn't be months after fermentation began to when you bottle). I use 3/4 cup priming sugar per 5 gallon batch and it works good in my experience. I have also seen this flavor come up when the beer is stored too warm. Hopefully this was not a cause of the shipping (if you had to ship it) as you have no control over that besides packing it with some ice packs.

The low rocky white head was just an observation and not a fault. It means the head was a nice white color and the bubbles were a bit on the larger side to give it a rough and rocky texture. When I mentioned the lace, I was talking about the Belgian lace that the head leave on the glass as you drink it or swirl it. This is where the foam sticks to the glass and is a sign of good head retention and proper fermentation.

If your score was above a 30, then your beer was a good beer with some minor flaws or style misses. If it was below that, try to see what was written about it and if you can change your brewing technique to fix the problems. Maybe some of the problems are out of your hands like it warming up in shipping. My best advice to you is to take all comments from competitions with a grain of salt. Different people taste different things and hopefully you can just pull a few things out from the comments and become a better brewer. Keep entering competitions. Try to find local ones in your area (go to beertown.org and click on homebrewing to see a list of sanctioned competitions). Get involved in the Beer Judge Certification Program (BJCP) and learn more about the beer you are trying to brew.

Hopefully, I have cleared up questions for you and you continue to enter competitions. If if makes you feel any better, I put in two beers also and neither of them made it to the second rounds.

Steve,
Thanks for the comments on my Oklahoma Amber. I got a question or two that I hope you don't mind answering.
I've been brewing for a little over a year now and this entry was an extract kit, actually a Brewers Best American Amber kit that I
"tweaked" some with about 4 ounces of lactose to bring out some sweetness. Being a first time participant, I had developed that brew as a personal taste as opposed to matching a certain style, which I didn't realize was the whole point of the competition.
I have software that calculates the IBU's and such, but when looking at the IBU's on the ingredients from the extract kit, they claim that it meets the "style guidelines". I will assume it will be on the lesser end which saves them money.
You mentioned that it mostly had a CO2 flavor. I guess I've never come across that before. Is this the result of the type of priming sugar I may have used? In this case it was corn sugar. I do have a keg setup, but have found that there is a BIG difference between sugar priming and gas priming. On this same subject, another comment you had was that it had a low rocky white head. Could this be the result of the priming sugar? Would you mind elaborating on that some? You also said it had some nice lace. I'm lost.
I'm a member of Homebrewtalk.com. Of course, all the "older" members swear by all grain brewing. I just don't have the time to devote to that method. However, in your experience, is extract brewing worth entering in competitions? I know they can make a good or very good beer, as there is a brewery here on Fort Sill and all they do is extracts and it's pretty good, but can they or have some ever been labeled as excellent or outstanding? I've always thought of extracts as a way of just making brewing easier and taking a lot of work out of it as opposed to mashing, sparging, etc. etc.
Steve, again thanks for your inputs on the score sheet. Has really made me think of how I can improve my beer instead of listening to my buddies that all say the same thing, "this is the best beer I've ever tasted." This has brought me back to earth and will not doubt, improve my brewing. The only thing I'm toying with is continued participating in competitions with using extracts. Don't know if it would be worth it if the extracts are deemed only as a very good beer and nothing higher, at least, they will not be of better quality than that of all grains.
Thanks.

Scott Sherman

Finally got my score sheet in for the Old West region. 25 for an American Amber. Not enough hops. Seems to be a common thread here.

Hop Shortage = "Not enough hops. Seems to be a common thread here."

I know my American Amber was low on hops as well.

On the issue of "over flavoring" beers, I think this is a common practice in large competitions, especially in the APAs and IPAs. Jamil's technique of getting most of your IBUs from late hopping is based on the fact that hops can easily fatigue the palate of even the best judges and it is a way to pack more hop flavor into a beer without increasing the bitterness.

I've thought about entering Comps before, but always worried if what I like would be what the judges like. I've read posts like this on several sites and the general thing I here is "needs more", whether it be hops, malt, spice, etc.

I now understand why some people do well at comps and others don't (IMO), after reading this on another site

" I am a very active judge and I agree that the tendency is to score the more flavorful beers higher, particularly with the less experienced judges. I sometimes have to "reel in" an enthusiastic but misguided judge who is blundering down this path, particularly as we get deeper into a flight or flights. I see the results of this trend in the Best of Show round somewhat frequently, too, with beers that have big flavor but are way out of balance and simply not a harmonious brew.

That said, there is a possibility (probability?) that your beer is not going to be judged by an experienced team, and you may (will) be faced with this situation often. So, you can fret about it, or you can adapt your competition recipes to compensate.

One strategy that addresses your specific issue of "needs more" is to deliberately brew a caricature of the style. Let's say, for example, you were attempting to brew an American Amber, of which a typical commercial example might be reddish in color, have lots of caramel malt, and be moderately hoppy (less so than a Pale Ale). You might design a beer with LOTS of caramel malt (on the order of 15%), mash it cooler (~148F) or step mash it with a longer rest in the beta amylase range to compensate for the reduced fermentability, select a typical and easily-identifiable American hop (like Cascade) that any judge will recognize and then use it judiciously, and ferment it with a very clean yeast (WLP001, WY1056, Fermentis US05) so as not to generate a lot of fruity esters that might interfere with your malt and hop profile.

Another example might be a Bock. "You want Munich malt? "I'll give you Munich malt!" Two-thirds light Munich, one-third dark Munich, then an extra pound of Melanoidin malt. One charge of German hops for bittering only, preferably something like Tradition that is a little higher alpha to reduce the hop bulk and the possible vegetal flavors you get from that. Ferment with the cleanest possible lager yeast you can find, like WLP833 or 838. Now you have a true malt showcase with the appropriate German character with nothing to interfere or to detract.

I don't disagree with Bill's suggestion to brew towards the upper end of the style guidelines, but I would caution you to always keep balance and cleanness first and foremost in your brewing. I am reminded of the advice I received from my primary flight instructor lo, these many years ago: "Basic airwork is key. If you've got decent basic airwork, and you're smooth, you can goon it up to a certain degree and you'll still be OK." What he meant, parenthetically, is that nobody would notice you gooning it up a bit as long as you were smooth about it and trending towards a correction for the deviation. Same thing with brewing: As long as you are keeping harmony and balance in mind, while still featuring those characteristics that need to be featured in a particular style, you'll do well.

Bottom line? Clean, clean, clean. Avoid muddling up your recipe by throwing the kitchen sink in there. Select those features of the style that need to be featured, choose a few ingredients (traditional or not) that will do it, and brew away. Good luck and God bless."
End quote

This guy sent 9 beers on to the next round brewing on his stovetop in the kitchen. It's all in appealling to what the judges are looking for, and I like to brew for my own tastes.

So I guess no one will ever know my name like they know Jamil(22 beers to rd 2), but I like what I make.:D
Hey guys don't get to hung up on the comp! The bottom line is are you making beer you and your friends like and enjoy! Comps can very much be a crap shot, they are judged according to the style you entered. Judges opinons and tastes do varry but we try and judge the beer based on the style guidelines. There were quite a few beers entered this year and there is a big luck factor that goes along with going 2nd rd. So what if it wasn't exactly as quoted in the styles guideline is it a great beer that you and your friends enjoy??? That really is the greatest satisfaction of brewing, your friends say what a great beer you made!

I just got an email back from our region coordinator and indeed, my beer that scored highest among the East Region porters (40.5) did go into a mini-Best In Category with the top five porters but failed to make the top three. He sent out a sheet showing all of the beers that made a mini-Best in Category which was very helpful - whether you advanced or not, you get to see that you were at least in the running. I thought that was really nice of him to send that out (Bokonon, I know you had this happen to you twice, so hopefully your region sent out a similar sheet - Yooper, I know you had one that was close too so maybe you can get a similar sheet from your region). I was starting to second guess my recipes and processes, but at least I know that I am close. My Scottish ale (37) also made a mini-Best in Category.

Oh well, there's always next year.

I finally got my sheets back. Oh well.

I put my IPA in as a Pale Ale and got nailed for too hoppy. It got a 27.

My porter got a 25 as it was not to style according to the 2 judges. I guess I should not have used pils malt to make it. They were looking for more of malt profile.

My Apfelwein got 34 but the judges said is was not to style (Hello?) It's the Apple Wine category. They said it was very dry. (Hello?) The sweetness level stated Dry.

What gets me is that I looked at the bjcp guidelines and the American Amber should have a "moderate to high hop" flavor. My calculated IBU's were around 30, which is within style parameters. Since each judge flight has 12 brews, maybe their pallet is overly sensitive if your brew is towards the end. Another thing, as mentioned above in some of the posts, that I guess I'm having to understand is how do I know exactly what kind of "style" am I brewing? What I thought was an amber, after reading the bjcp guidelines, really isn't. Like, what style would this brew be:
3.3 lbs plain LME, 2 lbs plain DME, 12 oz of crushed carapils, 1 ounce Perle hops bittering and 1 ounch Saaz hops finishing? Pilsner? Wouldn't be a German and surely not an American because of the hop profile, so then the only one left is a Bohemian, which I don't think it is. It taste great, really nice color, about SRM 3-8, not hoppy at all. I guess maybe I'm out of my league here and just take the advice from Warrior and not get to bent out of shape and always remember WHY we're doing this....we love our beer and that's the reason for us being involved with this. When you start to get into competitions, it changes everything from enjoyment to frustration and you loose focus.
But, you know in the back of your head, it would be nice to snag at least a third place. Something you can hang on your wall next to your brew............

I'm thinking, if you want to place in a national BJCP contest, your best bet is to brew a clone of one of the classic examples of the style in which you want to compete. As soon as you stray outside the style guidelines, you begin to lose points.

Then again it's the luck of draw on judges too. 2 people will try your beer and determine whether or not it moves on. 2 different people could have 2 different scores.

Finally got my scores. Porter, Stout and Vienna. 24, 25.5, and 28. General comment of the first two was they were past their prime. These kegs got kicked about 2 pints after I filled the bottles. The Vienna was noted as a bit dry. My Half-Baked Swedish Rye Beer (brewed partly with Swedish rye bread - Belgian Specialty cat. - I used a trappist yeast) scored a 37 though. I've never had a beer that tasted like this and the judges agreed and liked it too, one even asked for the recipe. I'll definitely be messing around with this beer.

I'm thinking, if you want to place in a national BJCP contest, your best bet is to brew a clone of one of the classic examples of the style in which you want to compete. As soon as you stray outside the style guidelines, you begin to lose points.

Brewing a clone is a good way to get some points, especially in a well-known style. However, I agree that beers on the high end of a style's guidelines (or even over the line a bit) tend to do better than beers on the lower end. Like the other judge above, I often find myself reeling in judges who want to give high scores to entries that are quite clearly too much for the style, especially newer judges and newer brewers.

Ed, on the apple wine category, I can see why you may run into problems there. Outside of HBT, there are very few brewers who have the first clue what "apple wine" is, and even fewer have any personal experience with one. Many will expect cider, and the guidelines tell them to do so (i.e., "simply a cider with substantial added sugar").

Heck, it's hard enough to find good cider judges. Except in a few regions, there aren't that many folks out there with any cider experience. To compound the problem cidermakers enter both categories, so they are disqualified from judging. That leaves a very small pool of potential judges.

TL

Then again it's the luck of draw on judges too. 2 people will try your beer and determine whether or not it moves on. 2 different people could have 2 different scores.

I'm with Tex on this one based on experience. You want to push the boundaries somewhat. I've won with my American Brown recipe that is 7% abv with 65 IBUs. It's well outside of style guidelines and still a winner.

Finally got my scores. Porter, Stout and Vienna. 24, 25.5, and 28. General comment of the first two was they were past their prime. These kegs got kicked about 2 pints after I filled the bottles. The Vienna was noted as a bit dry. My Half-Baked Swedish Rye Beer (brewed partly with Swedish rye bread - Belgian Specialty cat. - I used a trappist yeast) scored a 37 though. I've never had a beer that tasted like this and the judges agreed and liked it too, one even asked for the recipe. I'll definitely be messing around with this beer.

Congrats on the 37, sounds like it's an exceptional beer. Did you enter in the North East region? Just wondering if those score sheets are now finally starting to arrive.

Congrats on the 37, sounds like it's an exceptional beer. Did you enter in the North East region? Just wondering if those score sheets are now finally starting to arrive.

jzal - I was in the NE region and got my sheets as posted a few pages back. Very pleased with my 41 on the belgian pale even though it wasn't good enough to place in the rough Category 16, w00!

Hopefully yours arrive soon...

jzal - I was in the NE region and got my sheets as posted a few pages back. Very pleased with my 41 on the belgian pale even though it wasn't good enough to place in the rough Category 16, w00!

Hopefully yours arrive soon...

oh ok I see, yea hopefully mine arrived today. We'll see.

As of today, still no scoresheets. Will be bottling my beer for the second round though. Hopefully those scoresheets arrive.

I know some of you are still looking for your score sheets but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about receiving information on the second round. I think our second round information was to come separately from our score sheets and with the second round about a month away I was wondering when I needed to get my entry shipped off. Any ideas?

I know some of you are still looking for your score sheets but I was wondering if anyone knew anything about receiving information on the second round. I think our second round information was to come separately from our score sheets and with the second round about a month away I was wondering when I needed to get my entry shipped off. Any ideas?

I saw in another forum that the concensus was nobody had received any information yet.

As an update, I received my scoresheets for the 1st round yesterday :)

I copied them down and posted them in my blog.

I saw in another forum that the concensus was nobody had received any information yet.

As an update, I received my scoresheets for the 1st round yesterday :)

I copied them down and posted them in my blog.

I talked with Janice Gross at the AHA yesterday. She is really great and helpful. I She told me instructions are being mailed as of yesterday. The entries need to arrive between June 4 and 11th (I think). The mailing will have instructions for shipping , recipe and registration forms and ID tagas for the entries. They will also contain the first round ribbons.

My Apfelwein got 34 but the judges said is was not to style (Hello?) It's the Apple Wine category. They said it was very dry. (Hello?) The sweetness level stated Dry.

Ed, my first batch of apfelwein (done w/less sugar, and ec1118) is just starting to carb, and it's amazing. I'm finding out that commercial cider is simply too sugary sweet for me, and this apfelwein is just right. Even SWMBO likes it, and she hates everthing I make. Do you need more of an award than the fact that every HBT'er is crazy about this stuff? What's a wonder is that someone hasn't picked up the recepie and started doing it commercially, at a microbrew.

I talked with Janice Gross at the AHA yesterday. She is really great and helpful. I She told me instructions are being mailed as of yesterday. The entries need to arrive between June 4 and 11th (I think). The mailing will have instructions for shipping , recipe and registration forms and ID tagas for the entries. They will also contain the first round ribbons.

I think Canada must be slightly ahead of the other regions to give us some extra time to ship down to the US. I got my instructions a little over 2 weeks ago:

Congratulations on placing in the ALES 2008 Homebrew Open competition and qualifying for the Final Round of the 2008 American Homebrewers Association National Homebrew Competition! There were 5,643 entries competing in the National Homebrew Competition this year! The National Homebrew Competition continues to be the world's largest beer competition!

Attached you will find Instructions for Entering the Second Round, an Entry/Recipe Form, and pre-printed Bottle ID labels (small labels denoting only category and Second Round entry numbers to print). You will need to include a $4 (USD) entry fee

for each of your Final Round entries with your entry forms (to pay by credit card, call 1-888-822-6273 x134). Each entry requires three bottles. See the Rules & Regulations for the National Homebrew Competition for more details.

The Final Round will be judged June 19 at the AHA’s 2008 National Homebrewers Conference in Cincinnati, OH, where gold, silver, and bronze medals will be awarded in each category. All gold medal winning beers, meads, and ciders will compete in Best-of-Show judging on June 19 to determine the Homebrewer of the Year, Meadmaker of the Year, and Cidermaker of the Year.

The competition winners will be announced during the Banquet and Awards Ceremony, Saturday evening June 21 at the conference. Winners will also be posted to the Brewers Association website, http://beertown.org/events/nhc/2008_winners.html at the same time.

You might want to check with your homebrew club to see if arrangements have been made for shipping your club's entries to the NHC Second Round.

We hope to see you and your homebrew at the National Homebrewers Conference in Cincinnati, OH.

Good Luck!

Janis Gross
NHC Director

I received my 2nd round info packet and certificates in the mail today. Entries need to be received between June 2 - 11

I noticed that FlyGuy has to pay $4.00 for his entry into the 2nd round. My instructions do not mention anything about sending them another entry fee. Is this just because he is in Canada? Does anyone know if we need to send them more $$ for the second round?

I noticed that FlyGuy has to pay $4.00 for his entry into the 2nd round. My instructions do not mention anything about sending them another entry fee. Is this just because he is in Canada? Does anyone know if we need to send them more $$ for the second round?

No you don't need to send them anything else. I'm not sure why the Canadians do

Back