2 yeasts for barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbeer

Reaction score
i will be brewing my last 2 batches of the season towards the end of march. i will brew a 1.046-ish pale ale with wyeast 1056 and the following saturday i will brew my barley wine finale with wyeast 1728. i was thinking of racking my PA into secondary on the day i brew my BW and putting the BW right into the PA's primary trub and then 3 days later pitch a bloated package of 1728. the BW will be around 1.100. i've never racked right onto another beers trub but i would think it would be a seriously good starter.

any thoughts or experiences?

I have a batch going like this right now. I brewed a 1.050 APA with 1056 then racked a 1.095 barleywine on to it. Once fermentation slowed, I pitched a 1L starter of wlp099 into it along with a sugar addition to dry it out. I will be aging it for a year, but I had a taste about two months after brew day, and it was awesome.

I don't really see the reasoning behind adding the 1728, and adding after the beer has reached 4-6% abv is probably not the best idea. To give you some advice, what are your goals with this beer? What were you planning to accomplish with the 1728?

honestly the 1728 was just because it was going to be in my next order and i got the idea of dual yeasts for complexity or whatever. plus it looks like my brewing schedule will line up for it. i am just looking for an americanized british style barley wine if there is such a thing. 20 lbs of maris otter, 1/2 lb of 75l crystal and 1/2 lb of 60l crystal and 2 oz of roasted barley for color. the ibu will be around 75 with magnum for bittering and kent goldings and citra for flavor. the recipe will be basically a sweep-the-kitchen batch with my remaining ingredients plus a few purchases.

maybe i could leave off the 1728 and just rack right into the PA's fermenter. i'm thinking it would be a good idea to probably stir the heck out of it afterwards right?

any worries about the trub contributing off flavors? i tend to get a lot of sludge in my primary because i stir my wort after it cools to get it to pitch temp.

I would leave the Scotish Ale yeast out; it's not going to contribute much: both yeasts are fairly clean and alcohol tolerant.

It sounds like a pretty good recipe. I wouldn't worry about the trub, but do make sure you taste the APA when you transfer, in case there's a blooming infection. I wouldn't stir it, I'd seal the fermenter and shake it. This is better for adding oxygen, which is a vital yeast nutrient in the first stage of fermentation.

Back