2-row -vs- 6 row

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ApolloSpeed

Reaction score
Use 2 row as 6 row has more protein. Recipes will state what should be used anyway. Later when you design a recipe you should follow general recipes and change just the items you want to be different. Using Beersmith will keep tabs on the final brew so you don't make big errors with hops etc.

all barly is eather 6 or 2 row.
and all bace grain is malted 2 or 6 row barly.
bace grain is cheeper than speachel grain becase,
all "malt" is malted. but the other malt goes throw
other heat treatments,,dry for darker malts (munic venina )and wet for crystal malts (crystal 20 40 120 ect)

*Hic*:)

all barly is eather 6 or 2 row.
and all bace grain is malted 2 or 6 row barly.
bace grain is cheeper than speachel grain becase,
all "malt" is malted. but the other malt goes throw
other heat treatments,,dry for darker malts (munic venina )and wet for crystal malts (crystal 20 40 120 ect)

*Hic*:)

You need to spell check before posting!:)

becase only some one with a little doober would find the need to correct spelling
on line ,,,like the op did not know it was wrong

yeah barley!!! its delish and I heart it 6 or 2 row:mug:

becase only some one with a little doober would find the need to correct spelling
on line ,,,like the op did not know it was wrong

yeah barley!!! its delish and a heart it 6 or 2 row:mug:

Do yourself a favor and stop posting until you sober up man ;)

This is hilarious, I'm laughing my ass off...

...OP: The two row is a good base because it's more transparent when compared to 6-row. At least, that's how I understand it (anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong).

Oy. Drunks should refrain from interacting with others. It is neither funny nor cute. It is simply annoying trying to decipher your scribbled drivel then deal with your hyper-aggressive idiocy.

Anyway, the differences between 2 and 6-row malt can be profound. 6-row is generally held to be more grainy and astringent, due to significantly higher proportions of husk matter. It also has higher levels of protein, requiring a protein rest.

On the other hand, it also has significantly higher levels of active enzymes than 2-row; this factor alone makes it the preferred malt for high-adjunct light lager brewers. When the grist reaches adjunct levels of more than 30%, it's a good idea to switch to 6-row. For comparison, Briess has PDF analyses of its 2- and 6-row malts online. Look at the diastatic power (DP) levels, the plumpness of the kernel, and the Extract Dry Basis percentages.

My next batch is going to be another test of the 1954 Schaefer recipe I was given; that calls for 6-row (two varieties which are, alas, no longer malted) and flaked corn, along with hops I hope I can still source given the shortage.

Cheers!

Bob

Clayton was in his own little world last night.

This is his true charactor, LOOK

Rude and crude.gif

Latest posts

Back