Comparing local 6 row to breiss 2 row specs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Semo

Reaction score
I am curious, anything crazy I should expect in brewing with the local 6 row in comparing these specifications? This is the specs I could easily get for this particular grain.
This is out of my league so thought I would ask before trying a brew session. Wanted to try the local Carolina Malthouse here in NC.
Thanks in advance,

Local 6 Row
DP:131
AA:45.2
Extract:79%
Color:2.2SRM

Breiss 2 row
DP:140
AA:65
Extract:80-81%
Color:1.8 lovibond

That's not very much information, but it might be enough if you're only after potential extract and color.

DP is diastatic power, it is sort of only important if you use a lot of adjunks without their own enzymes.

As you can see the exrtact potential is slightly different. SRM = Lovibond, almost, but very close enough.

But what is AA?

I had always read that the DP on 6-row was higher so it is surprising to see yours coming in lower.

Stolen from Midwest:
In general, 6-row malted barley has more protein and enzyme content than 2-row malted barley, is thinner than two-row malt and contains less carbohydrate. There are also flavor differences between 2-row and 6-row and it seems that most brewers feel 2-row malt produces a fuller, maltier flavor and 6-row malt produces a grainier flavor in the finished beer.

The interesting fact about 6-row barley is that it is only grown in North America. Its high enzyme concentration after malting is one of the reasons cereal adjuncts like rice and corn can be used without causing problems with mash conversion.

I had always read that the DP on 6-row was higher so it is surprising to see yours coming in lower.

Stolen from Midwest:
In general, 6-row malted barley has more protein and enzyme content than 2-row malted barley, is thinner than two-row malt and contains less carbohydrate. There are also flavor differences between 2-row and 6-row and it seems that most brewers feel 2-row malt produces a fuller, maltier flavor and 6-row malt produces a grainier flavor in the finished beer.

The interesting fact about 6-row barley is that it is only grown in North America. Its high enzyme concentration after malting is one of the reasons cereal adjuncts like rice and corn can be used without causing problems with mash conversion.

The higher SRM of the 6-row suggests that it was kilned at a higher temperature and that may have then lowered the DP?

The higher SRM of the 6-row suggests that it was kilned at a higher temperature and that may have then lowered the DP?
Riverbend? I've used their malts quite a bit. Good stuff. My bhe drops about 2 pts, and I have to set my mill a little tighter to account for smaller grain. Otherwise, I love their stuff. Unique and local.

Riverbend? I've used their malts quite a bit. Good stuff. My bhe drops about 2 pts, and I have to set my mill a little tighter to account for smaller grain. Otherwise, I love their stuff. Unique and local.

It’s not riverbend, it’s Carolina Malt House recently opened near statesville NC. So close I had to try it.

Thanks everyone. Just curious if there was any major differences in mash temps I should consider. I generally do 2 row for IPA around 152 but never used 6 row outside of a creek ale. I understand potential taste diff and your noted efficiency drop is helpful as well.
Thanks.

Back