2 ounce hop tubes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerCanuck

Reaction score
After 3 years of growing hops I finally needed a better way of packaging them. I have several pounds this year and wanted to store them to save as much space as possible. I saw another DIY project that I borrowed from.
Previously i was able to store approximately 2 oz of hops in a 1 gallon freezer bag now I can hold 10 oz in the same 1 gallon bag in convenient 2 oz hop tubes;

01-Hop_Barrel_and_Plunger.jpg

The hop barrel and plunger I made out of 1.5" pvc tube / cap / expanding coupler. The plunger is a 1.5" plastic furniture cap that I pushed into a broom stick.

02-Hop_Wrap.jpg

To help maintain the hop tube I loosesly wrap some plastic wrap around the tube to hold the hops when they get pushed out.

03_-2_oz_of_Hops.jpg

2 ounces of home grown hops ready to be pressed and packaged.

04_-Hops_Loaded.jpg

Hops are loaded into tube until there full to top

05_-Hops_Plunged.jpg

Hops Plunged and filled until 2 oz are done

06_-Cap_Removed.jpg

Invert the tube and tap cap off while pushing down on outside tube to allow plunger to push hops out.

07_-Hops_extracted.jpg

Continue extracting by pushing hops out with plunger.

08-Hops_extracted2.jpg

Hops extracted

09-Hops_labeled_and_packaged.jpg

Hops labeled packaged
Quality check gets purr of approval

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

Hoe much lupulin residue is on the inside of the tube when you are done?

Since that's hat we want in the beer and not the leaves I am curious.

Nice idea looks like it really increases your amount in a given volume.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

You probably loose a minimal amount of lupulins in comparison to the process involved with standard hop pellets. ( hops pulverized and pressed vs cone kept mainly intact)

Ever since I started brewing with whole leaf hops I tend to avoid pellets. The main advantage is the whole leaf hops act as a filter vs pellet hops tending to foul a pickup tube.
I know that you can use a hop sock/spider with pellet hops put I believe hops prefer going Rambo :)

Cheers;
BeerCanuck

good idea, that will definatley save on space and help heep them fresh. Im from st catharines too and i was curious about where you are getting your grain from as i am interested in buying 50# sacks or splitting one one with someone once in a while, also if you ever find yourself in over abundance of fresh hops i would be interested in purchasing some :mug:

Back