2 gallon - "hel" (nesquik)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calicojack

Reaction score
Background:
Hel is referenced in the Prose Edda, written in the 13th century by Snorri Sturluson, various times. In chapter 34 of the book Gylfaginning, Hel is listed by High as one of the three children of Loki and Angrboða; the wolf Fenrir, the serpent Jörmungandr, and Hel.
High says that Odin sent the gods to gather the children and bring them to him. Upon their arrival, Odin threw Jörmungandr into "that deep sea that lies round all lands," Odin threw Hel into Niflheim, and bestowed upon her authority over nine worlds, in that she must "administer board and lodging to those sent to her, and that is those who die of sickness or old age."

I used "HEL" for two reasons. a) the final % possibilities and because the final mixed color was that of freshly tilled dirt; like the kind you would find on top of a fresh grave.

Size: 2 gallons
Ingriedients:
1.5 quarts of Gille's Honey
10oz Nesquik
Water to 2 gallons
White Labs Sweet Mead Yeast

Directions:
I had a half gallon left over from another batch. So i took a 2nd gallon and put half of it into my new 3 gallon better bottle. Then I put the honey in the plastic bottle and shook the beejezus out of it. In the other half gallon I emptied a 10oz jar of nesquik into it; and shook it till it was all mixed up.

realizing that I had to much in both jugs I poured out the other half gallon that was in the better bottle. Then I combined both jugs to the better bottle.

Pitched my yeast and gave it a good shake for about 2 minutes.

Observations:
So this came out a little watered down. I thought i had the steps right, but a) it made to much and b) came out with a lower OG than what I was shooting for. The Recipe I was using was shooting for 1.12, mine came out to 1.085. However In the original recipe the OP stated that his ended up dropping A LOT further than he had originally planned for. If i remember correctly his came out a .94 (i'll double check that number and get back to this thread). So if i'm doing my math right (which i'm sure i am) it should be:
(1.085-.95)x131.25= 19% rounded

Pictures (before and after):
250065_262836460400310_258293964187893_1235337_1377208_n.jpg

284552_262838740400082_258293964187893_1235339_6954123_n.jpg

I always enjoy pics, keep us updated because once I find some local honey I plan on running a few test batches.

i went back and checked the original chocolate test thread. Apparently the OP hasn't posted since april of this year. I wished he was still around to address a concern:

i didn't heat my water up before adding the nesquik. i'd like to know if his batch formed a cap, and if it did, how long did it take to go down?

half contemplating throwing a clove or two into the secondary.

the cap has subsided and it's bubbling away. hardest part is going to be not touching this for two months in the primary and another 10 months in the secondary

Back