Just made - 2nd & 3rd mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Srimmey

Reaction score
Good day!

Just finished up my 2nd & 3rd ever meads. My wife also made 5 gallons of hard cider because, why not! It’s Saturday.

I followed the Acerglyn recipe I found almost exactly. The Cherry mead was much more off the cuff and I worry I used a touch too much honey… that’s a lot of gravity. If I can keep the yeast going all the way through it will probably live in the bottle for a good 18 months.

I also had issues with the carboy bungs. Do they always just want to pop out? Seems like they weren’t really sized right but they came with the carboys I bought. Taping them down seems to work but I lost 2 into a 1 gallon carboy… pushed it too far in.

Mead #2 - Acerglyn
3.6 lb honey
.6 gallons grade a dark maple syrup
2 vanilla beans, cut in half
2 grams of white wine tannins
Rind of 1 orange
Full 3 gallon carboy
QA23 yeast
OG 1.108

Mead #3 - Cherry melome
8lb honey
4 vanilla beans, cut in half
3 lb of tart Cherry slurry
Split into 2 - 1 gallon carboys
EC1118 yeast
OG 1.142

Attachments

• E3DD4D8A-35DC-4310-B3E7-59311DE870E0.jpeg
    E3DD4D8A-35DC-4310-B3E7-59311DE870E0.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0

DBhomebrew

Reaction score
For the 5 & 6 gallon carboys you can use the 'universal stopper'. Those are great. Hold well, a lip to prevent it going in. For the 1G jugs, I have the same problem keeping them in. Tape, rubber bands, string, hot glue, a stern talking to.

OP
OP
S

Srimmey

Reaction score
Happy little mead colonies doing their thing. Just gave them their first stir + a first dose of extra nutrients

Attachments

• IMG_2506.MOV
    16.7 MB
OP
OP
S

Srimmey

Reaction score
Good day!

Racked the Acerglyn to secondary last night. The previous night I had dropped in some meta-k and campden tablets to kill off the yeast. Finished out exactly at 14.5%!

Problem is, my siphon is a bit short to reach the bottom of my 3 gallon and 5 gallon carboys. I tried tilting the carboy a little to siphon more out but ended up get some dead yeast in to my secondary vessel.

What is the best way to not get dead yeast/other funkiness while transferring? Are there super fine filters that can attach to a siphon hose which will keep the yeast from transferring? Should I just get a bigger siphon to reach father down to carboy and accept the loss of a bit of mead?