2 beers 1 hopped wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TipsySaint

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a good style to push the limits of on the cold side. I want to make 10 gallons of hopped wort and then divide into two fermenters and make two totally different beers. Leaning towards a wheat right now, just because you can do so much with various adjuncts.

Any thoughts are welcome. :)

:tank:

I split batches all the time and turn 1 into a Belgian using sugar and some Belgian yeast. I do hefe/saison a lot. Scotch ale and Belgian double.

OP mentioned splitting the wort. To one, pitch a traditional hefe yeast, to the other some german lager yeast.
But you have a wheat-wort. that's not a traditional at least, lager. One of the results will be very off, comparing to tradition at least. Either the hefe if you don't use wheat, or the lager if you use wheat in the amounts a hefe needs. To me a lager with wheat-wort would be weird.

Here are some of the one hopped wort beers I have done myself.

Standard Hefeweizen Malt bill and hops. At flameout steep coriander and orange peel in 1 to 2 quarts or wort so you have a Hefe and Belgian wit.

Munich Helles Malt bill. After mash pull 1 to 2 quarts and steep carafa malt. You get a Munich Helles and a schwarzbier.

Amber or golden ale, use Saison yeast for half

Use Marzen grain bill. At flameout add brown sugar or candi syrup to half and Belgian Ardennes yeast for a Bier de Garde the other half traditional Marzen.

My latest split was a Breakfast/Blonde stout. Both fermented with Irish ale yeast. Half keg hopped with English hops for an english IPA. The other half I added a cocoa nib tincture and dry beaned with whole bean coffee for the breakfast/blonde stout.

Let me know if you want specifics.

For your idea with a wheat based wort, I would pull 5 gallons off after 60 minutes for an American wheat and then keep boiling possibly with another hop addition and have 2.5 gallons of a wheat wine.

Check the diversity link in my signature. Pilsner/Trippel (add sugar to Trippel) is one option, or maybe the best is the brew up a Marzen/OFest sort of thing, ferment half as lager, and add some steeped Special B and/or Dark candi sugar to the other half and do a Dubbel with your Belgian Yeast of choice.

Don't be afraid to dilute one half with distilled water after the boil if you want beers with different gravities.

You can also do as mentioned above and drain half your wort and keep boiling the other half with more hops. Hefe/white IPA might be a good option here. If you do a recipe with mostly whirlpool hops, you wouldn't even need to keep boiling.

Saison, belgian, or brett for a funky type beer, then a cleaner yeast for the other like lager, us05, kviek, etc.

If you did saison(or brett) and kviek you could run them both hot, get two very different profiles. Fruit and spice in the saison, citrus bomb and hops in the kviek.

Ha. Just saw braufessor beat me to it.

Last edited:
So this is what I did.

I call it "THE GREAT SPLIT"

I made a mother batch that was a super strong 10% base with Pils, Caramunich and Melanoidin. Saaz and Hersbruker hops. 11 gallon batch.

I took half and added D180, D90 sugar and beet sugar to bring it up to 1.1 SG and added belgian yeast to make a belgian dark strong.

Then i divided the remaining wort in half.

Half I diluted back up to 5.5 and added lager yeast to make a pils.

I then made a second mash and mixed that with the last bit from the mother to make a Julius IPA clone. I did end up doing a second boil to get the hop profile right. Used a mix of safale yeasts.

Whole thing took about 8 hours.

Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a good style to push the limits of on the cold side. I want to make 10 gallons of hopped wort and then divide into two fermenters and make two totally different beers. Leaning towards a wheat right now, just because you can do so much with various adjuncts.

Any thoughts are welcome. :)

:tank:
I actually did this my first AG brew.
Started out with a basic Weizen ("Don't Tread On Weiss")from BrewWerks.com that at the time , I lived about 10 miles from. Mashed it as per the instructions. Added the hops it came with and pitched the yeast it had with, got a basic but good hef my wife swears to this day is best shes had.
The next day I resparged the same grains but a smaller amount (1/2 batch)and added some priming sugar to the boil ,added zest of 2 limes and 1 orange and a tbsp of crushed coriander in the last 15 minutes of the boil. used nothing but Apollo hops and pitched Safale US-05 .
Turned out to be a great summer session beer served with a slice of orange . I call it "Moon Over Miami Hopped Belgian Wit". Kind of like a Blue Moon or Shocktop but better because its home brew.

Last edited:
So I got some Julius and Budvar for comparison. Gonna pick up a Allagash Black this week as well and do a mine vs commercial match up. So far the Julius vs Home Brew, my brew is a bit darker, the yeast is spot on and I probably need to fuss with water chemistry a bit more. That said, for something that was made from a hack and slash like this, I'm pumped!

:ban::rock::mug::tank:

I am carbonating the Belgian Dark Strong now, and then I will do the Pils on Friday and take the yeast cake from that, split it and make 10 gallons of a Bock I think.

This beer just keeps on giving!

Back