2 bags...1 tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello All,

I'm going to brew an imperial Oktoberfest and I plan on indulging in my hard work when Oktoberfest come around in 2018. I have come to the point that the grain build that is being required is starting to exceed the amount of space in 1-5 gallon bag (Muslin or painters bag). With Macguyver skills and the forum and other resources I've been able to use a large cooler. As I've started to make high gravity brews I've started to run into the issue with the bag not being able to completely close. I've looked at the option of using cheese cloth, but the issue is cloth isn't wide enough holdall the grain. It may be a silly question, but if I was to use 2-5 gallon bags would the word be effected if I added the wort to my cooler. I've never separated the grain, but I think its possible. Any insight would be helpful The information for the recipe is below.

OG (est): 1.076
FG (est): 1.020
IBU (est): 38
ABV (est): 7.5%

ALL-GRAIN

MALT/GRAIN BILL

13.3 lb (6.03 kg) Dark Munich
1 lb (454 g) Caramunich III
1 lb (454 g) Melanoiden Malt

HOPS SCHEDULE

2 oz (57 g) Hallertau Mittelfruh at 60 minutes
2 oz (57 g) Hallertau Mittelfruh at 10 minutes

YEAST

Bavarian Lager (Wy 2206/2308) (WLP 833/838)

This is exactly the method that I use. However I have gotten to the point where my grain builds are starting to exceed the bags I'm using. I have been told I should just modify the cooler and dump the grains in but I like the easy cleanup method of just tossing the used bag and rinsing the cooler. I usually yield a 75% efficiency.

Back