1st year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I planted 4 total rhizomes in the spring - 2 Cascade, 2 Goldings. I only have 7 total cones - all from one Cascade bine. The Golding look great, though short (only ~6 feet) - lush, green...but zero cones. The Cascades grew taller (10-12 feet), but looked "iffy" all season - certainly less lush than the Goldings. I was surprised they produced anything while the Good-looking Goldings did not.

I am going to chock this up to first year growing, but does this sound within the realm of normal?

Sounds similar to my experience. My first year I planted one cascade and one goldings. I got 2 cones on the cascade and none on the goldings. Unfortunately I have yet to get any cones on the goldings even though it generally looks green and healthy, but not too tall. The cascade has done much better. In year two, I picked 8oz (dry), and this year #3, looks to be a bit more. I grow them on twine wound around an obelisk so that may limit my yield, but the difference from year #1 to #3 is amazing to me. This is a recent picture of the top part of the cascade.

Cascade top 8.19.17 (640x427).jpg

I planted Chinook and Centennial two years ago. First year only a few cones each, not worth harvesting IMHO and under six feet tall. This year (their second year) the Chinook exceeded the 13 foot pole and produced about 1.5 pounds of dried cones. The Centennials only produced a few ounces dried.

So what you are experiencing I would say is normal. Next year I think my Centennials will produce a lot more. Talking to a local guy who grows hops he said the third year is when Centennials really take off.

Good luck and keep doing what you're doing! Cheers!

Thanks. That was what I assumed, but am glad to get some reassurance. I think I'll dry hop a pint with the 6 cones that grew! :mug:

23550047_10154937871146044_8229431401341795501_o.jpg
Hi all. I'm growing some chinook for the first time ever. First hops ever. I am from Adelaide in South Australia so I know this'll be a bit of a stretch. Quick background about the climate here. Spring temperature average is about 65 to 75 and over summer it can hit 100 to 110 sometimes for several days on the trot. My hops leaves seem to be getting attacked by some sort of disease and mite or insects. Anyone recognise the signs and how I might treat it. Thanks in advance. Having issue with image. will post soon
divebomber10

Last edited:
Back