1st wet hop harvest ale.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zamial

Reaction score
So I just got done knocking out 2 batches of brew.

I made a PA/IPA with 100% home grown hops. The hops had nothing but well water and rain on them. I harvested the hops yesterday and got 55oz of mostly cascade + centennial with some nugget, brewer's gold and fuggles mixed in.

I brewed them up today all into 1 beer. I got 6 gallons of 1.075 wort. I mash hopped them, FWH, burst hopped and whirlpooled with them. The grain bill was 15lbs of Briess Pale Ale and 2lbs of Crisp Amber. Yeast will be 2 packs of US-05. (Note: While 55oz may seem like a lot of hops, wet hops weigh x5 as much as they do dry.)

I also had some bad luck when I ran out of light. I thought I had an awesome efficiency on my second beer but it turns out I had an awesome boil-off. I also ended up with a bunch of break material in the fermenter. :mad:

The ale is going to stay 10%abv out of spite. I had hickory smoked up about 4lbs of Weyerman Pilsen malt, topped off with 9lbs unsmoked pilsen and 2lbs of Golden Promise. I used some old hops that had to go that made no real logic as to additions. They were EKG, Styrian Golding, Calypso and Aramis more US-05 on this one. I plan to secondary it onto home toasted hickory wood chips.

HOORAY FOR SNOWFLAKE BEER! :mug:

These will also be the 1st time I have used my glass carboy's for beer in quite some time. I may need to stop MAKING beer, wines and meads and get to bottling and kegging some up... ;)

I tapped my first wet hop beer a week ago. 15 ounces of Chinook in 5 gallons, all late kettle additions. I did use Centennial at 60 minutes. I'm pleased with how it came out.

Latest posts

Back