1st try at kegging -how to force carb cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A50SNAKE

Reaction score
hello all, so, I am brand new to this kegging stuff, I bought the Danby kegerator from costco and I'm ready to roll.

so, I have filtered and racked my cyser into my corny keg and now I don't know how to proceed to get it to carb up so I can have it on draft.

please let me know the steps, so that my first attempt will be a good one :D

thanks,

-If beer is chilled set to 30 psi for 24 hours. If beer is warm to start do 36 hours.
-Purge keg and reset to serving pressure. Which is normally 8-12 psi for most beers at 40 degrees or lower.
-Enjoy in 3-5 days.

Never had a Cyser but I'm assuming this method would work.

-If beer is chilled set to 30 psi for 24 hours. If beer is warm to start do 36 hours.
-Purge keg and reset to serving pressure. Which is normally 8-12 psi for most beers at 40 degrees or lower.
-Enjoy in 3-5 days.

thanks for the reply. but I have a few more questions, sorry...

how do I remove the oxygen in the keg? I just racked into the keg and then put the lid on, was that correct?

by purging the keg after the 24/36 hours and then resetting to the serving pressure, does that remove all the oxygen?

mine is warm, just sitting in the basement, so I'll do the 30psi for 36 hours, but is that 24/36 hours in the kegerator? or at room temperature?

BansheeRider is on the ball.

To address your questions:
Everything should be done in your kegerator (at cold temp). Rack beer to your keg, seal lid and dial up 30psi. Definitely check for leaks (a little dish detergent in water can help - use a paintbrush). Now pull the release valve 3-4 times and you'll have purged the O2. Don't worry about this, CO2 is heavier than O2, so you're really just displacing the O2 .

Now keep at 30PSI for 24-48 hours (depending on how much carb you want) and you're good to go. Dial back to 10PSI (6ft line length) for serving pressure, pull the release (gently to keep seal) to release the excess pressure and pour yourself a cold one. I would definitely suggest you double check your seal as it takes roughly 10Psi to seal the lid.

Good luck! Enjoy a cold one, you've made the right choice moving to kegging!!
P

awesome! awesome! thanks soo much Plove...with me being new, I'm a little over cautious that I'm going to screw something up and ruin an entire batch...

I'll be sure to give this a try tomorrow, is it ok to sit in the keg, not pressurized over night? everyone is asleep here now and I don't want to wake anyone with my 1st CO2 attempt

thanks for the reply. but I have a few more questions, sorry...

how do I remove the oxygen in the keg? I just racked into the keg and then put the lid on, was that correct?

by purging the keg after the 24/36 hours and then resetting to the serving pressure, does that remove all the oxygen?

mine is warm, just sitting in the basement, so I'll do the 30psi for 36 hours, but is that 24/36 hours in the kegerator? or at room temperature?

As mentioned above just purge the keg a couple times while on the gas, that will get rid of the o2. The carbing method I described is in the kegerator. The Cyser needs to be cold during carbonation to allow the gas to be absorbed easier.

Your Cyser should be fine over night. However this would be a good opportunity to get it cold before connecting the gas tomorrow.

As mentioned above just purge the keg a couple times while on the gas, that will get rid of the o2. The carbing method I described is in the kegerator. The Cyser needs to be cold during carbonation to allow the gas to be absorbed easier.

Your Cyser should be fine over night. However this would be a good opportunity to get it cold before connecting the gas tomorrow.

ok, all very helpful info...thanks soo much, ya my basement it pretty cold, but I'll bring it upstairs to the kegerator.

one more quick question, how full do you fill your corny kegs? to just below the lid opening? to that weld line/mark? I just don't want to over-fill it...again, probably being too worried :confused:.

ok, all very helpful info...thanks soo much, ya my basement it pretty cold, but I'll bring it upstairs to the kegerator.

one more quick question, how full do you fill your corny kegs? to just below the lid opening? to that weld line/mark? I just don't want to over-fill it...again, probably being too worried :confused:.

I don't think it matters but I could be wrong. I always fill mine all the way with very little head space.

You have to fill it so that the level of the cider (or beer) is below the short diptube (on the "in" post). It can be close to the level, but you have to be able to see the end of the diptube. If you overfill, the cider will back up into the beer line and possibly ruin your regulator.

You have to fill it so that the level of the cider (or beer) is below the short diptube (on the "in" post). It can be close to the level, but you have to be able to see the end of the diptube. If you overfill, the cider will back up into the beer line and possibly ruin your regulator.

excellent! thanks soo much again Yooper...

Back