1st Time Lager - input needed.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
My very first lager.. aside from the 2 ales i have done, this is my 3rd batch. Lagering techniques seems to have different styles. After reading up on it, this is the path i have followed, Brewferm Lager yeast (dry but re-hydrated) BB Extract kit Oktoberfest. Cooled wort down to roughly 56F and pitched yeast at same temp. lagered at 54-56F until fermentation was about 75% done (i think :eek:) OG was 1.056 Hydro reading when racked to secondary after primary firmentation (17days) was 1.018. Did a D-rest at 62F for 3days. It has been about 17 days now at 36 deg. in my second fridge (should i go colder?)

My big concern here is pitching more yeast when its time to bottle. Will it be required? will 1/4 or 1/2 of the same dry yeast packet be enough? or can i go straight to bottle with no extra yeast? do i bottle cold? or let the secondary warm up to room temp before bottling?

Thanks for reading.

"Lagering" is cold storage. What you were doing is just fermentation.

What he said..lol, no but really. How long are you planning on lagering this Oktoberfest? Mine is still in the primary and I plan to rack this weekend in the secondary and lager it until September at 34F. If you plan on lagering for quite some time then I recommend you sprinkle just a tid bit of yeast or remnants of a starter thats left in the flask/jar when you bottle. I hope this helps!

as far as how long i will lager this at 34 or so deg.. i'm not sure.. this is my first one. :)

Back