1st sour attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeBetterBrewing

Sour Head in CO
Reaction score
First attempt at a sour. Brewed a wheat base. Added gigayeast sour cherry funk yeast. Plan on letting it sit for a long while. Pull after a few months to second fermenter to add cherries to ferment for a few more months. Plan is to only pull 2.5 gallons off and brew the well heat base again and add the wort to the existing and keep that puppy rolling. Solera style.
2205295D-0BBA-4D95-8331-92506C45137D.png

Goal is to have a very sour, puckering type, to have.

any suggestions to get that puckering sour effect is welcome at this point.

1F479100-2A3C-4E3D-9005-53582A024961.jpeg

395A2761-39BE-49D8-9A22-6A5BFD8E9F2B.jpeg

I agree, adding dregs from a really sour and puckering beer should do, if given time to develop

IDK what the LAB in that Gigayeast blend is, but if it's lactobacillus, one way to get that over-the-top puckering sourness is to drop your IBU. 7+ might be high for a first iteration of this. If you shoot for 3-5IBU max, you'll get that tang pretty quickly. Then, once your solera gains momentum over time, you can start upping the IBUs to strike a balance, as the LAB will be more accustomed to the elevated IBU envrion.

Isnt that blend just Brettanomyces? If you are just looking for more sour, I would get my hands on a bottle of Cascade and use those dregs. Theyve worked quickly for me and should do well with those IBUs you have.

Isnt that blend just Brettanomyces? If you are just looking for more sour, I would get my hands on a bottle of Cascade and use those dregs. Theyve worked quickly for me and should do well with those IBUs you have.

Back