• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.
  • July 15, 2020 USA date. 1am EST to approx 3am EST Server will be off line for maintenance.

1st sour attempt

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

BeBetterBrewing

Sour Head in CO
Reaction score
First attempt at a sour. Brewed a wheat base. Added gigayeast sour cherry funk yeast. Plan on letting it sit for a long while. Pull after a few months to second fermenter to add cherries to ferment for a few more months. Plan is to only pull 2.5 gallons off and brew the well heat base again and add the wort to the existing and keep that puppy rolling. Solera style.
2205295D-0BBA-4D95-8331-92506C45137D.png

Goal is to have a very sour, puckering type, to have.

any suggestions to get that puckering sour effect is welcome at this point.

1F479100-2A3C-4E3D-9005-53582A024961.jpeg

395A2761-39BE-49D8-9A22-6A5BFD8E9F2B.jpeg

OldDogBrewing

Reaction score
I agree, adding dregs from a really sour and puckering beer should do, if given time to develop

cactusgarrett

Reaction score
IDK what the LAB in that Gigayeast blend is, but if it's lactobacillus, one way to get that over-the-top puckering sourness is to drop your IBU. 7+ might be high for a first iteration of this. If you shoot for 3-5IBU max, you'll get that tang pretty quickly. Then, once your solera gains momentum over time, you can start upping the IBUs to strike a balance, as the LAB will be more accustomed to the elevated IBU envrion.

radwizard

Reaction score
Isnt that blend just Brettanomyces? If you are just looking for more sour, I would get my hands on a bottle of Cascade and use those dregs. Theyve worked quickly for me and should do well with those IBUs you have.

radwizard

Reaction score
Isnt that blend just Brettanomyces? If you are just looking for more sour, I would get my hands on a bottle of Cascade and use those dregs. Theyve worked quickly for me and should do well with those IBUs you have.

cactusgarrett

Reaction score
The Gigayeast site says it's a " Blend of 3 Brett strains and Lactic Acid Bacteria... Fermenting with zero or less than 5 IBUs will allow souring to happen much faster (within two weeks) but will cause the fermentation to take up to 4 weeks to complete. "