1st Lager Not Quite Right

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mose

Reaction score
So I did an Oktoberfest Lager, my first. I pushed the timeline and will correct that next year, but for this one I have a couple questions.

Brewed in the beg of Aug, chilled overnight in the lager chamber to 50F to pitch. I pitched a 3qt starter and two packs of dry yeast.

Fermented well for 2.5 wks. OG was 1.055 and FG was around the 1.012 range. All seemed well. I transfered to a keg and put in the fridge until a week and a half ago. She is now sitting at 10psi.

There is a bit of a bitter taste, and a yeasty (for lack of better description) flavor, not serious, but it's there. Not the best beer I've brewed to date, but not the worst.

I was getting some debris in the pour but chalked it up to keg debris that just needed to get worked out. I haven't been drinking this yet, just samples and the debris seems to be lessening, but still there.

By pushing the timeline and not lagering it as long as I should have do I need to add something to drop the "stuff" out of suspension or just pull a couple mugs and drink it down to purge the keg.

The lines and tap were cleaned and sanatized prior to tapping the keg. It's a sanky Sixtel with a picnic tap that has worked great on a previous brew. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Yeasty flavors can be attributed to insufficient lagering time, but also you may be getting some overwhelming bitterness primarily due to your water source... I have often had problems with harsh bitterness due to my water, I have started adjusting my brewing water and have had no problems. Perhaps you should begin looking at your water report and adjust accordingly.

Also it can be difficult, but try not to advance a lagering schedule on an Octoberfest... These beers really need the correct amount of time to clean up after themselves.

Yeasty flavors can be attributed to insufficient lagering time, but also you may be getting some overwhelming bitterness primarily due to your water source... I have often had problems with harsh bitterness due to my water, I have started adjusting my brewing water and have had no problems. Perhaps you should begin looking at your water report and adjust accordingly.

Also it can be difficult, but try not to advance a lagering schedule on an Octoberfest... These beers really need the correct amount of time to clean up after themselves.

Thanks,

It was an extract so I'm told the water building is less important, also I used bottled water on this one with maybe a gallon of tap.

I was pretty concerned about the lagering time, but didn't have the means until Aug. I'll be correcting that this spring by brewing in March and letting her go until Oct, maybe 10gal this time. Hopefully she'll balance a hair over the next few weeks.

However I just started AG with BIAB so I'll be visiting the water building threads soon.

I think you will do just fine... Water building is scary at first if you are like me and have no contemplation of math and some science, but once you find a profile to build off of it becomes really easy with brewing software like Promash...

Definitely let that beer sit a while, and I'll bet you that by the end of that keg you will be savoring every drop

Latest posts

Back