19 months for washed yeast....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerloaf

Reaction score
I'm posting this because I'm amazed at the fact that I'm brewing with washed yeast that I washed on 7-8-11. It is now fermenting like crazy at 48-50*F. Below is a pic of the starter from last week. I was pretty anal about being aseptic and it seems like the yeast was fine and kept cold in a fridge the entire 19 months. I've gone over a year before, however not this long with washed yeast. Just ignore my ghetto stir plate, it works quite well though. Oh I forgot to add, it's WLP820 Oktoberfest lager yeast.

11949ol.jpg

Sweet!! I got yeast stored in bottles and have been wondering how long I could keep it good for. Please post back once you pitch it into your beer and let us know if you get a good fermentation.

It's already been pitched but I will post a pic as soon as I get home. It has been fermenting pretty crazy. I keep my yeast in either small mason jars or baby food jars.

Here is what it looks like in the fermenter 9 days after pitching. Temps have been around 50*F, have not checked hydrometer reading yet and I may not even bother. I figure I will ferment for 2 weeks and the warm it up for a d-rest for 3-4 days and then rack into glass and lager for 2-3 months.
34p05ls.jpg

beerloaf

Back