Volcanic Starter Overflow - Contamination Problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinemarten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have a starter that’s erupted twice now and I’m concerned about nasties using what’s on the exterior of the flask as a ladder to get into the good stuff. I’m also concerned about how much good yeast has either left the building entirely or is stuck to the interior wall of the flask.

About 10 hours in, I observed krausen about halfway up the flask but it wasn’t an issue yet. The first eruption was smaller and didn’t have any large chunks exiting the fermenter. That happened about about 19 hours in. I sprayed the exterior of the flask with Star San and cleaned it up as best I could. I dialed the stir down to the lowest setting. A few hours later, I noticed a lot of yeast settling on the bottom of the flask. I then, probably stupidly, decided I wanted to get that back in suspension and cranked the stir up to max. The yeast on the bottom did reincorporate. This morning, I found I had another escape this time with the chunks seen in the picture. It’s now hanging out in the keeper. Anyone know if I should give up on this one? Thanks!

3.4 liter starter in a 5 liter flask on stir plate. 10.8 ounces DME. 2 packs of three months old Imperial A38 Juice. 1/4 tsp Wyeast nutrient. Two drops fermcap. 65 degree ambient temp.

Attachments

• CDFEEA13-C97F-4933-AEEF-06F99B7F60BF.jpeg
    CDFEEA13-C97F-4933-AEEF-06F99B7F60BF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Looks like a fine top cropper to me. Just try to clean up what you can. Here’s one of my fermentations:
9E0C1004-C1E3-430B-9BE8-EC677605B053.jpeg

Edit: here’s one of my starters, after cleaning up.

E4D5483D-80AF-4106-9D51-7B373A3CB630.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Folks,

I have a starter that’s erupted twice now and I’m concerned about nasties using what’s on the exterior of the flask as a ladder to get into the good stuff. I’m also concerned about how much good yeast has either left the building entirely or is stuck to the interior wall of the flask.

About 10 hours in, I observed krausen about halfway up the flask but it wasn’t an issue yet. The first eruption was smaller and didn’t have any large chunks exiting the fermenter. That happened about about 19 hours in. I sprayed the exterior of the flask with Star San and cleaned it up as best I could. I dialed the stir down to the lowest setting. A few hours later, I noticed a lot of yeast settling on the bottom of the flask. I then, probably stupidly, decided I wanted to get that back in suspension and cranked the stir up to max. The yeast on the bottom did reincorporate. This morning, I found I had another escape this time with the chunks seen in the picture. It’s now hanging out in the keeper. Anyone know if I should give up on this one? Thanks!

3.4 liter starter in a 5 liter flask on stir plate. 10.8 ounces DME. 2 packs of three months old Imperial A38 Juice. 1/4 tsp Wyeast nutrient. Two drops fermcap. 65 degree ambient temp.
Did you decant or add the entire thing. Did it ruin the beer?

Back