Historical Beers 1890 Truman Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Omega #OYL-211 Bit O' Funk
Yeast Starter
1 Liter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 days @ 65°F
Tasting Notes
41/50 total score from local competition
1890 Truman Porter
8 lbs 8.0 oz​
Chevallier Heritage (Crisp) (3.0 SRM)​
Grain​
1​
68.0 %​
0.66 gal​
1 lbs 4.0 oz​
Brown Malt (65.0 SRM)​
Grain​
2​
10.0 %​
0.10 gal​
12.0 oz​
BEST Black Malt (BESTMALZ) (609.1 SRM)​
Grain​
3​
6.0 %​
0.06 gal​
2 lbs​
Invert Sugar No. 3 [Boil] (70.0 SRM)​
Sugar​
4​
16.0 %​
0.17 gal​
2.00 oz​
Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 120.0 min​
Hop​
5​
29.3 IBUs​
-​
1.50 oz​
Fuggle [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min​
Hop​
6​
20.5 IBUs​
-​
2.00 oz​
Hallertauer Mittelfrueh [6.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min​
Hop​
7​
28.0 IBUs​
-​
1.00 Items​
Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins)​
Fining​
8​
-​
-​
0.00 gal​
Chiller (Boil 15.0 mins)​
Other​
9​
-​
-​
1.25 tsp​
Yeast Nutrient (Boil 5.0 mins)​
Other​
10​
-​
-​
1.0 pkg​
Bit O' Funk (Omega #OYL-211)​
Yeast​
11​
-​
-​
0.50 oz​
East Kent Goldings (EKG) [5.00 %] - 3.0 Days Before Bottling for 0.0 Days​
Hop​
12​
0.0 IBUs​
-​

The last competition I entered was over a decade ago... probably longer. It was a Foreign Export Stout which received nothing but positive comments at our local club meeting so I entered it in a state competition. The results were the polar opposite from my club experience. It should be noted that I had just joined this club so these were not buddies or people I even really knew at the time and two of them were BJCP judges. So I got discouraged and stopped entering competitions. This past December I had a few bottles of a porter I had made and packaged up for a family reunion. While visiting my LHBS I saw they had their quarterly comp about to start and the theme this quarter was dark beers so I dropped off my last two bottles. Today I got the score sheet back and am pretty happy about the results... 41/50 total score.

The recipe is from Ron Pattinson and was taken from the 1890 Truman Brewery log books. I brewed it in May and bottled a few dozen off my keezer tap using a TapCooler counter pressure bottle filler for the family reunion. Three bottles were left and I stashed them in the back of the fridge and forgot about them until December. Since there was no cost to enter the comp I figured what the hell and dropped off two bottles the day before the submission deadline. Judging was last weekend and I got the results emailed today. I didn't notice much funk from the yeast so next time I will try using the next step up in the Omega brett blend line.

Attachments

• Score Sheet (edited).jpg
    Score Sheet (edited).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
This recipe is very similar to my "signature" porter, Atonement Brown Porter. I use more base malt and brown malt though, for a higher ABV. Congrats on the score! Anything in the 40's is a sign of a great beer.

Well... not so necra a thread.
Alotta Brits on here (and over there) say the Chevallier Heritage don't shine at 1st until after some ageing.

Well... not so necra a thread.
Alotta Brits on here (and over there) say the Chevallier Heritage don't shine at 1st until after some ageing.
I'm glad to see this malt is available in the States.

That some beer styles benefit from age is familiar. That some base malts do so is really interesting. Any thought as to why would that be?

Reportedly sweet at the onset
I wonder if this experience refers to bottled conditioning only, or also to force-carbonated beer in a cold keg.

I may give this historical porter a try - seems like keg conditioning might be the most, er, historical. I could put it in a closet for a while...

Back