14 hours since pitching and very slow activity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthonyc9

Reaction score
I pitched my starter about 14 hours ago and the fermentation is going very slow.

I've brewed this same batch 4 times with the same yeast and it never goes this slow.

Is this normal. When should I think about re-pitching. (Beer OG was 1.060) thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm in the same boat. The wort looks flat. No airlock action. We're at 12 hrs and this is my first batch (white labs Irish yeast). What time IS panic time?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

I'm in the same boat. The wort looks flat. No airlock action. We're at 12 hrs and this is my first batch (white labs Irish yeast). What time IS panic time?

72 hours is the time that, if there's no krausen (airlock activity is not reliable), you'll want to take a gravity reading. If it's the same as the OG, re-pitch yeast.

The odds are that your brews are still going through a lag phase. if you only used one pack its going to take anywhere from 24 to 36 hours before it gets going.

The odds are that your brews are still going through a lag phase. if you only used one pack its going to take anywhere from 24 to 36 hours before it gets going.

Even with a starter?

Is it recommended to use more than one yeast pack? Especially for those who may be impatient...:beer:;)

Is it recommended to use more than one yeast pack? Especially for those who may be impatient...:beer:;)
In general, the higher the OG, the more yeast you should start with. Most of my beers are in the 1.050 to 1.060 range. I use 1 pack dry if I'm using dry, but with liquid yeast I always make a starter (2 to 3 qts).

HTH, Cheers!

Even with a starter?

Depends on the size of the starter and the amount of time it was given. A 1.5 l starter on a stir plate for a few days and my batch's kick off in around 12/18 hrs

Depends on the size of the starter and the amount of time it was given. A 1.5 l starter on a stir plate for a few days and my batch's kick off in around 12/18 hrs

FYI- you should not leave the flask on the stir plate that long. Around 18-24 hours is plenty of time to grow the culture to the best cell count you're going to obtain.

Take a look at this video, especially beginning at about 1:00. That's Wyeast microbiologist Greg Doss -

Last edited by a moderator:
I pitched my starter about 14 hours ago and the fermentation is going very slow.

I've brewed this same batch 4 times with the same yeast and it never goes this slow.

Is this normal. When should I think about re-pitching. (Beer OG was 1.060) thanks!

Have any luck? I woke up this morning to a beautiful site. I'm feel elated almost as much as the day my children were born... do I have a problem? Good luck with your brew! :mug:

FirstBatch.jpg

Back