1318 and 04 in a NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olotti

Reaction score
so I think I'm gonna brew next Saturday I have some 1318 I can make a starter for but I won't have enough time to step it up as I'm going for a 8% dipa so I figure I'll make a starter for a 5% beer then add a packet of rehydrated 04 on brew day to make up the difference. Anyone think they'll be issues combining these two? I figure their pretty similar strains and both should attenuate about the same for this style, I usually mash at 152-3 and aim for 1.012 Fg. I've made neipas with each of these yeasts and loved the results of both so that's why I'm thinking of combining the two. Thoughts?

They’re quite different actually. S-04 can be kind of tart and 1318 can be kind of sweet. What temp are you fermenting at? I actually just made one of my better beers with roughly 30% 1318 and 70% S-04. No rhyme or reason to that ratio just one packet of S-04 and and a slightly older smack pack of 1318. The yeast used by a couple of the benchmarks in this style is very similar to or is S-04 so it’s a great yeast to use. The tartness can sort of add to or amplify the “juice-like” effect I think. I would try to keep ferm temps close to or under 66.

Last edited:
They’re quite different actually. S-04 can be kind of tart and 1318 can be kind of sweet. What temp are you fermenting at? I actually just made one of my better beers with roughly 30% 1318 and 70% S-04. No rhyme or reason to that ratio just one packet of S-04 and and a slightly older smack pack of 1318. The yeast used by the a couple of the benchmarks in this style is very similar to or is S-04 so it’s a great yeast to use. The tartness can sort of add to or amplify the “juice-like” effect I think.

I start fermentation at 63-64 then let it hit 68 tops then as Krause falls ill ramp up to 70-72 to finish out and hit diacetyl rest but peak ferment ambient temps I do all I can to maintain peaks of 66-68deg.

I personally hate the flavor imparted by S04, and I love 1318.
If I had to use dry, I'd use Mangrove Jack's M44. I just used it in a Pliny clone, as all I had on hand was dry yeast. I use M44 in one 5.5 gallon batch, and S05 in the other. The S05 was kind tart/harsh but the M44 one was great. Much hoppier in the finish compared head to head.

I start fermentation at 63-63 then let it hit 68 tops then as it falls ill ramp up to 70-72 to finish out but peak ferment ambient temps I do all I can to maintain peaks of 66-68deg.
I personally hate the flavor imparted by S04, and I love 1318.
If I had to use dry, I'd use Mangrove Jack's M44. I just used it in a Pliny clone, as all I had on hand was dry yeast. I use M44 in one 5.5 gallon batch, and S05 in the other. The S05 was kind tart/harsh but the M44 one was great. Much hoppier in the finish compared head to head.

Lol ah Lorena my savior thanks for replying. How are things? Good I hope. I'll look into m44 as I can get it here so u think though half 1318, which is my fav yeast for this beer bar none but like I said I don't have the time to step it up to make the amount of yeast I need for an 8% dipa that the m44 will handle the rest ok I've never used m44 but heard good things.

They’re quite different actually. S-04 can be kind of tart and 1318 can be kind of sweet. What temp are you fermenting at? I actually just made one of my better beers with roughly 30% 1318 and 70% S-04. No rhyme or reason to that ratio just one packet of S-04 and and a slightly older smack pack of 1318. The yeast used by the a couple of the benchmarks in this style is very similar to or is S-04 so it’s a great yeast to use. The tartness can sort of add to or amplify the “juice-like” effect I think.

I love the juice aspect of new IPAs like I said I made a neipa a couple months back using a 30 Ibu hop shot and 6oz at fo then 6oz whirlpool with a dble dry hop and it came out fantastic with just 04 where I primarily use 1318 but I just don't think in a week of my starter I'll have the amount yeast of 1318 to attenuate this IPA so I want something close to help it and I figured 04 was the best bet as like I said I also made a neipa with just 04 and it turned out great.

Lol ah Lorena my savior thanks for replying. How are things? Good I hope. I'll look into m44 as I can get it here so u think though half 1318, which is my fav yeast for this beer bar none but like I said I don't have the time to step it up to make the amount of yeast I need for an 8% dipa that the m44 will handle the rest ok I've never used m44 but heard good things.

That I don't know. I'd maybe consider splitting the batch, instead of mixing the yeast. You'd have enough 1318 for 1/2 the batch, and could use M44 for the other half- then taste them head to head and see what you think.

Back