1272 head fake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkeeler

Reaction score
First brew I've ever used Wyeast 1272 on (in the past I've used 1056 or 1084) and it did something unexpected. It is 5.5 gal. batch in a 6.5 gal carboy. I had affixed a blow off tube and fermentation started quickly (in about 3-4 hours). It was really bubbling but the krausen was not that high. Two days later, it was about the same. Then I came down tonight to check it and I noticed it had blown off into the bucket. 1056 was always so linear, up then down. Never had one go up, down a bit, then blow off.

No real question, just sharing the experience. I would like to hear other yeast strains that will go nuts after fermentation started to slow or if this is usual with 1272.

I've had that happen with many Wyeast strains, not just 1272. Actually, it happens on almost all of my fermentations. Just makes cleaning out the blow off tube a real pain.

I love 1272! A true top-cropping yeast that will leave a nice mat of yeast on top even after it's done fermenting. I can't say I've had your experience with it, but I haven't watched the eb and flow of my ferments too closely.

Back