12" Domed False Bottom for Keggle - Thoughts? Experiences?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleben113

Reaction score
I'm currently looking at false bottoms for my keggle MLT and want to get a domed 12" FB but I'm hearing mixed reviews and can't find much info on this combination. I will be direct firing it. I wanted to see if anyone uses this set up and what they think. This is where I'm at so far:

Pros:
-Strong, won't need a leg for it
-Cheaper than flat ones
-Some say it fits very well

Cons:
-Maybe not a great seal
-Could possibly scorch grains since it doesn't completely keep grains off the bottom (but I feel like stirring could avoid scorching)
-Some say it moves around (A pick up tube would fix this though, right)

Feel free to tell me I'm wrong if your experiences tell you otherwise. I just need to know if this is going to work well or cause more headaches than it's worth

Thanks in advance

:tank:

I use these in my MLT and Kettle and love them. I don't direct fire my MLT yet but I do HERMS and as long as I start to pump slow at first, no stuck mash. In the kettle, I use whole hops and it separates them nicely. I have SS dip tubes that let me drain almost all the goodness out. To keep them down, I put a washer and hose clamp above and below the FB. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1394837685.176374.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning more toward a full sized hinged one. Seems like the potential risks outweigh the cheapness of the domed ones. The hinged ones plus support for it is just so expensive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I can tell you if you set it up right, it doesn't move around and seals great. The only thing I can't verify is the scorching part. I'd think you scorch the wort under the FB as well if you heat to fast/don't recirculate.

Anyway, I like mine, have built 3 systems for friends with them and would totally use them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm so torn!!!! I will only be using the direct firing to keep the wort at mash temp so I think if I take it slow and stir often, I can avoid scorching. I think I'll go with that method for now and if I don't like it, I'll sell it and go for a Jbird FB.

Back